Fast Company

NOW HEAR THIS

Doppler Labs thinks the next frontier for wearable computing is your ears—and with Here One, it wants to lead the way.
Audio guides With their smart earbuds, Doppler Labs cofounders Noah Kraft, left, and Fritz Lanman are bringing augmented reality to ears.

I’m trying to listen as Doppler Labs cofounder and CEO Noah Kraft walks me through his company’s new smart earbuds over the din of a crowded restaurant, but the cacophony of chattering diners and clanking silverware is overwhelming. I can’t make out a word. Then, all of a sudden, the background noise disappears. Kraft’s voice comes in loud and clear.

It feels a little magical—even though we’re not actually at a restaurant. I’ve been getting a demo at Doppler’s San Francisco headquarters, and all of that background noise was a simulation, pumped into my ears—and then muted—via a cobbled-together tangle of earphones, microphones, circuitry, and other components.

In November, Doppler plans to ship a pair of sleek, wireless earbuds embedded with the same technology, allowing anyone, anywhere to neutralize the hubbub of a real restaurant. Paired with a smartphone, the $299 Here One

You're reading a preview, sign up to read more.

More from Fast Company

Fast Company2 min read
28 For Clearing The Roads
Waze is fighting for U.S. drivers—who waste an average of 42 hours in traffic every year, along with $1,400 in fuel and time—by looking beyond them. Google’s crowdsourced mapping app, known for tapping data from its 90 million users to inform drivers
Fast Company1 min read
35 For Soaring Beyond The Rest Of The Drone Industry
In May 2017, DJI introduced Spark, its tiniest drone yet and the first that can be controlled by hand gestures, for just $499. The company packed computer vision and object tracking into a pocket-size 11 ounces that you can launch from your palm—no d
Fast Company1 min read
24 For Investing In Change
The 82-year-old Ford Foundation is upending the model for grant-making institutions by wielding its endowment like an impact investor. Though foundations traditionally spend 5% of their funds on cause-related grants and initiatives, the other 95% typ