Vous êtes sur la page 1sur 6

Electrical Licensing For Instrumentation

A class M Limited Electrical License is available to all CTTAM certified technicians and technologists doing electrical work in the province of Manitoba. This license is sponsored by CTTAM and has three classes: Class 1 - Limited Construction (5400 hours of documented construction work) Class 2 - Maintenance (3600 hours of documented maintenance work ) Class 3 - Manufacturer/Builder

The licence holder is permitted to: Install/work on electrical equipment excluding building wiring. To perform modification, maintenance, condition assessment, repair, manufacture, commission, configuration, program, calibrate, test, and assemble equipment in accordance with CTTAM Code of Ethics as recommended by the joint assessment committee.
The scope of the license is limited to the technical group Instrumentation, Electrical, Electronic, Biomedical, Mechanical, and more importantly, your work experience. The licence is designed to match your duties and experience. Possession of an electrical license while doing electrical work on an industrial site is mandatory. Basically, if you are covered by workplace Health and Safety at work, you need it. An alternative to the CTTAM M License is the Voice Data Video License (low voltage cabling only) sponsored by the Manitoba Electrical League. Details are to be found after M License details.

the licence states

Step-by-step Plan Technician/Technologist Electrical Licenses

Step 1 Become a member of CTTAM. Since the new Class M technician/ technologist electrical license is sponsored by CTTAM, and they are the evaluation agency, you MUST maintain membership in CTTAM. Go to: www.cttam.com 1-204-784-1088 phone 1-204-784-1084 fax Step 2 Go through the certification process. Apply for the CTTAM M License.

Note: If you are currently working, you MAY be eligible for a GRANDFATHERED CTTAM M License. You MUST have a minimum of two years (3600 hours) or three years (5400 hours) to be eligible for a grandfathered Class 2 M (maintenance) or Class 1 M (limited construction) license. See Grandfathering the CTTAM M License process sheet.

Grandfathering the CTTAM M License In a letter to CTTAM, the Department of Labour has agreed to allow a system of grandfathering for the CTTAM Electrical License. To qualify for grandfathering applicants to CTTAM will need: 1. Membership in CTTAM. 2. Documented work history showing the applicants: - electrical related work history, timelines and work complexity (design/build/install/commissioning/modify) the format is on CTTAM web site. - an employers counter signature on work history, or a statutory declaration of work history if the employer is not available. 3. Documentation must show the applicants technical competency and safety record. Detail the depth and breadth of maintenance, installation and design using the electrical code and best practices. The electrical code course, electrical safety course, and first aid course is waived for people using the grandfathering route. Grandfathering will require a minimum industrial workplace experience of 3600 hours for a Maintenance Level Electrical License and 5400 hours for a Limited Construction License. Please note: As long as one person in responsible charge on site has a CTTAM Limited Electrical Construction License, a holder of the CTTAM Electrical Maintenance can do Limited Electrical Construction work under the direction of the Limited Electrical Construction holder. In other words

A person with a level 2 licence can do level 1 work if there is someone with a level 1 licence to supervise their work.

A $125.00 assessment fee will be required by CTTAM for evaluation of your application for grandfathering. Fee for the license will be $90.00 for a four (4) year block. However, you must maintain CTTAM membership over this period to maintain validity of the CTTAM license. Assuming you do not qualify for the grandfathered CTTAM M License, you must show competence in: Canadian Electrical Code / Building Code and Industrial Electrical Safety. Fill in and sign a registration form for the M License. The form is available at www.cttam.com or in CTTAM offices #602-1661 Portage Ave. An assessment fee of $125.00 is payable at this time.

Step 3: CTTAM will direct applicant to Winnipeg Technical College (WTC), 1551 Pembina Highway. WTC will require you to take an assessment test for $50.00 customized for the license class level and specialty group. The WTC assessment test may be done at WTC or remotely from any internet capable site. To arrange test times, phone Laure at 989-6520. To answer questions, phone Anne Thompson at 989-6537. The WTC assessment test is open book (Canadian Electrical Codebook is required) and consists of fifty (50) multiple choice questions with a fifty (50) minute duration. The test is generated from a test bank derived from 2002 CEC. For Instrumentation and Electrical the CEC sections used are: Section 0 2 4 8 10 12 14 16 18 22 26 28 46 56 80 Description Scope and Definition General Rules Conductors Current Loading and Demand Factors Grounding and Bonding Wiring Methods Protection and Control Class I and Class II Circuits Hazardous Locations Corrosive Liquids and Vapours Installation of Electrical Equipment Motors and Generators Emergency Systems Optical Fiber Cathodic Protection

Building Code emphasizing Fire Regulations and Fire Stopping will also be included. The test is computer graded. A mark of 70% or better will enable the individual to bypass the sixty (60) hour Canadian Electrical Code / Building Code course and proceed to the Electrical/Building Code Competency Examination. The fee for the examination at WTC is $200.00. Falling below 70% on this examination will require the individual to take the 60 hour code course. The fee for the 60 hour Canadian Electrical Code / Building Code course is _______. It runs two evenings per week plus Saturdays. The fee also covers the final examination fee. Again, 70% is the pass level.

Step 4: A one day Electrical Safety Course, sponsored and coordinated by CTTAM, but presented by Manitoba Hydro, will satisfy the license requirement for demonstrated competence in electrical safety. Contact CTTAM at 784-1088 extension 1 for place and times. A fee of $320.00 will be required. Manitoba Hydro will certify participants. Step 5: At this point the applicant should have: - filled in and signed the CTTAM registration/application form for the M License - completed the Electrical Code program with above 70% mark - completed the Electrical Safety program - filled in and signed the application to Department of Labour Engineering and Safety for the M License. This is available at CTTAM offices (a $90.00 cheque for 4 years is now required) - completed a detailed work history of applicant see appendix for CTTAM form and see grandfathering for content hints - presented a letter from their employer detailing length of employment and work history. If the employer is unavailable, a Statutory Declaration is acceptable. The CTTAM Joint Assessment Committee consisting of Industry, Electricians License Board, and CTTAM staff members operates as a sub-board to the Electricians License Board. The committee accesses the presented information and recommends issuance of Class 1 / Class 2 / Class 3 M License. The license/response will be mailed to applicant.

Work Experience Documentation

One of the procedures for obtaining the M License is a review of your current and past work experience by the joint Assessment Committee to ensure that you are seeking certification in the correct category. For this purpose, you are required to provide a complete work experience portfolio with your application. A complete work experience portfolio will contain detailed job description(s) of your current and previous position(s). Each job description must be signed by your current and previous supervisor(s), manager(s) or other responsible individual, and should include the following information: 1. Job Title; Section; Department; Company; Person to whom you report and his title; Date of appointment to position. 2. A description of the various functions of the job and the relative importance of each. Indicate the approximate percentage of time spent on each function. 3. A description of how your work is assigned, evaluated or checked. 4. A description of how you influence the activities of others. If you have supervisory responsibilities please describe and indicate the number of persons you supervise and their functions. 5. Relevant information on projects, equipment used, test procedures, etc. Emphasize: - depth and breadth of work - use of electrical code in work - use of best installation practices - process and electrical safety in work

CTTAM Safety Awareness Course Content

8:30 to 9:00 9:00 to 9:30 9:30 to 9:45 9:45 to 12:00 12:00 to 12:45 12:45 to 2:00 2:00 to 2:15 2:30 to 3:15 3:15 to 3:45 3:45 to 4:20 Introductions and building tour Tailboard/job planning procedures 15 min coffee break Instrument testing information Lunch Tools and equipment, PPE Coffee break Lockout, tagout, grounding Safety Wear Ultrasound, Infrared

Process to Get VDV License

For those persons doing building automation systems including access control, HVAC control, energy conservation; the Voice Data Video License (VDV License) is available to you. One section of the VDV License states terminate, maintain, upgrade, repair, commission, and troubleshoot in building automation systems. The applicant for the VDV License must apply for and write a VDV Electrical Examination from the Department of Labour (Mechanical and Engineering) see attached documentation. To ensure success in this examination, Winnipeg Technical College (1551 Pembina Highway) will use the syllabus for the VDV License exam to prepare you. An initial on-line (internet) open-book assessment test is required. A $99.00 fee is levied for this test. Note: The Canadian Electrical Code book is required. The assessment results places the applicant into the 24 hour ($600.00) or 40 hour ($1000.00) program. The program runs two (2) evenings per week, plus Saturdays. Contact Ann Thompson (989-6537) or her assistant, Laure (989-6520) at Winnipeg Technical College for registration. Additionally, confirm details because things change. To write the Department of Labour examination for the VDV License, you must: 1. Fill in application for examination. 2. Attach a signed letter from employer showing 3600 hours of related experience. 3. Submit to Department of Labour for approval by Electricians License Board. 4. On approval, and after a payment of $50.00, you may sit for the VDV examination.