Vous êtes sur la page 1sur 4

1950: President Truman sends a formal letter to DuPont, specifically requesting their e xpertise for the design and

construction of a new atomic project. Decision made to build nuclear facility in South Carolina, later to be called th e "Savannah River Plant" (SRP). 1951: Savannah River Ecology Laboratory begins ecological studies of SRP plants and an imals. Construction began at the Plant. 1952: Production of heavy water for site reactors begins in Heavy Water Rework Facilit y. 1953: R Reactor, the first production reactor, goes critical. 1954: P Reactor, L Reactor, K Reactor go critical. The first irradiated fuel is discharged. F-Canyon, a chemical separation facility, begins radioactive operations. 1955: C Reactor The first H Canyon, Permanent omic Energy

goes critical. plutonium shipment leaves the Site. a chemical separation facility, begins radioactive operations. tritium facilities operational and first shipment of tritium to the At Commission (AEC).

1956: Construction of the basic plant is complete. Neutrino confirmed at P Reactor. RETURN TO TOP 1962: Heavy Water Components Test Reactor (HWCTR) goes into operations testing the hea vy water system for use with civilian power reactors. 1963: Receiving Basin for Off-Site Fuels receives first shipment of off-site spent nuc lear fuel. Curium 244 produced as a heat source for space exploration. This was the first f ull scale conversion of an SRP reactor load to nonweapons materials. 1964: R-Reactor and HWCTR are shut down. 1965: Californium-252, the heaviest isotope produced at SRP, is separated as a byproduct of the curium program. 1968: L Reactor shut down for upgrades.

1969: Californium-252 is made in a separate production program RETURN TO TOP 1971: K-Reactor becomes the first production reactor automatically controlled by compu ter. 1972: SRP is designated as the first National Environmental Research Park. 1977: Plutonium Fuel Fabrication (PUFF) Facility Startup. 1978: Savannah River Archaeological Program (SRARP) established onsite to perform data analysis of prehistoric and historic sites on SRP land. RETURN TO TOP 1981: SRP begins environmental cleanup program. M-Area Settling Basin cleanup begins under the Resource Conservation and Recover y Act. 1982: Heavy Water Rework Facility closed. 1983: Ground is broken for construction of the Defense Waste Processing Facility (DWPF ). Wackenhut Services Incorporated (WSI) begins providing security support services at SRP. 1985: HB-Line begins producing plutonium-238 for NASA's deep-space exploration program . L-Reactor restarted and C-Reactor shut down. A full-scale groundwater remediation system constructed in M-Area. 1986: Construction of Saltstone begins. Construction of the Replacement Tritium Facility begins. 1987: DuPont notifies DOE that it will not continue to operate and manage SRP. Effluent Treatment Project (ETP) construction begins 1988: K, L and P Reactors were shut down. Effluent Treatment Facility begins operations to treat low-level radioactive was tewater from F and H Area Separations facilities. 1989: SRP is officially included on the National Priority List and becomes regulated b y Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Westinghouse Savannah River Company assumes management and operation of SRP faci lities. Name of the Site changed from Savannah River Plant (SRP) to Savannah River Site (SRS). RETURN TO TOP

1990: Construction of a cooling tower for K-Reactor begins. Saltstone operations begin. 1991: Mixed Waste Management Facility: first SRS facility closed and certified under t he provisions of the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act. L-Reactor shut down. M-Area Settling Basin closure completed. The Cold War ends and production of nuclear materials for weapons at SRS stops 1992: K-Reactor operated briefly for last time and connected to cooling tower. Secretary of Energy announces phase out of all uranium processing. Non-radioactive operations begin at the Replacement Tritium Facility. 1993: K-Reactor placed in cold-standby condition as Nation's tritium source. Non-radioactive test runs of the Defense Waste Processing Facility begin. Construction begins on Consolidated Incineration Facility. Tritium introduced into the Replacement Tritium Facility and radioactive operati ons begins. Workforce Transition and Community Assistance begins at SRS. 1994: SRS Citizens Advisory Board was established. Replacement Tritium Facility startup. 1996: The Defense Waste Processing Facility introduces radioactive material into the v itrification process. K-Reactor placed in shutdown condition. F-Canyon restarts and begins stabilizing nuclear materials at SRS. 1997: First high-level radioactive waste tanks closed (#17 & #20). Cold War Historic Preservation Program begins RETURN TO TOP 2000: SRS celebrates 50th anniversary K-Reactor building converted to K Area Materials Storage Facility. Record of Decision announced, selecting SRS as the site of new plutonium mission s: MOX Fuel Fabrication Facility Pit Disassembly and Conversion Facility Plutonium Immobilization Facility 2002: F Canyon and FB Line facilities completed their last production run to process l egacy materials. 2003: Last depleted uranium metal shipped to Envirocare of Utah. Receiving Basin for Offsite Fuels prepares for closure. Salt Waste Processing Facility (SWPF) construction begins. 2004: SRS' Savannah River Technology Center (SRTC) designated as a national laboratory , Savannah River National Laboratory (SRNL). 2005:

Blended low-enriched uranium from SRS used by Tennessee Valley Authority reactor to generate electricity. Tritium Facilities Modernization & Consolidation Project completed start-up. 2006: SRNL designated as the Department of Energy Office of Environmental Management s " Corporate Laboratory." Aiken County s new Center for Hydrogen Research opened its doors. F-Area deactivation work complete. T-Area closure complete. 2007: Tritium Extraction Facility (TEF) opens. MOX Facility construction begins. 2008: Savannah River Nuclear Solutions (SRNS) awarded contract for Maintenance & Opera tion of SRS. Savannah River Remediation (SRR) awarded contract for the Liquid Waste Operation s of SRS. Historical markers were placed in P and R Areas commemorating the role both reac tors played towards winning the Cold War. Construction on the Waste Solidification Building (WSB) begins. 2009: SRS began The American Reinvestment and Recovery Act (ARRA) project representing a $1.6 billion investment in SRS. This project, expected to run through fiscal year 2011, will result in the accelerated cleanup of nuclear waste at SRS and a significant reduction in the site footprint. In 2009 alone, more than 1,500 new workers were hired and over 800 jobs retained, thanks to ARRA funding. SRS construction employees reached 23 million hours (11 consecutive years) witho ut a lost time injury case. RETURN TO TOP 2010: M Area closure complete 2011: P&R Areas closure complete The Site adopts Enterprise SRS (E-SRS) vision and business strategies for securi ng future new missions .