Vous êtes sur la page 1sur 5

GCSA Forum Minutes

16 September 2014
I. Call to Order and Invocation, Henry Hagen
II. Roll Call, Hannah Wardell
III. Reading and Approval of Minutes, Hannah Wardell
IV. Reports of Officers, Boards, and Standing Committees
i. Academic Affair Committee, Kristen Gandek
no update
ii. Communications Committee, John Buckley
group photo next week, look for your new email signature
iii. Elections and Appointments Committee, Hannah Wardell
iv. Financial Affairs Committee, Ryan Daly
nothing to report
VI. Unfinished Business and General Orders
VII. New Business,
i. ACD Bylaw Change Presentation, Ed Link and Christiana McMullen
Bylaws are outdated. Needed to be edited. Proposing small changes.
first change: changing parenthetical to part a). Starting in the parenthetical statement to:
(including but not limited to Gender, Sexuality, Class, Race, Ethnicity, and National
Identities). ACD Strives to celebrate all aspects of culture and educate the campus
community.. That would conclude part a).
second change: b) We want to change the section to read as: to serve as a link between
and a resource to other committees and organizations in their efforts on-campus to
promote cultural pluralism. So the entire specifically working with: would be omitted.
We dont feel it necessary to define our partners narrowly, and want future councils to
have the latitude to work with whomever they can.

Changing to broaden diversity beyond how it has been defined in the bylaws.
Diversity is a big web that we want to understand better. Identities come together
to define culture. All things need to be addressed, including how we define
culture.
Kevin: original reads on cultural backgrounds, does that cover gender and
sexuality? is there something to change so it can?
E&C: I think thats wise, lots go into cultural identity
Kevin: Plural on identities?
Ed: grammatical error, means to apply to all identities
Ezra: Traditionally ACD is advocating for ethnic diversity, you're trying to propose
a meaningful by law change because of the old focus. What is the expansion of
function on this substantive change?
Ed: hosting an our Gordon, sexuality event to usher in this change
Evan: Curious about celebrate, what will that look like especially into in regard
to sexulaity and schools policies
Ed: Example of event they're putting on--bring rap group and celebrating that
difference that way.

GCSA Forum Minutes


16 September 2014
Sexulaity is a contensious issue right now, when it comes to celebrating LGBT
identities--were trying to establish a community with a pluralistic approch to
sexulity identity that reconcils opposite stances and celebrates the value of
difference opinions. Celebrating sexuality is tricky here, really we just want to
work on validating human identity in an honest and authentic way. We want to
break down barriers and build bridges.
Henry: Would you define ACD as advocating differences, or are you advocating a
specific stance?
Ed: Advocating pluralism, especially on issues of sexuality. Other issues like
classism and racism are more of a specific stance.
Steve: working withadd but not limited too and add a list of actual
organizations
Ed: thats an option, we did not feel it was necessary because its very broad and
flexible
Ezra: Henry made a good point, can we clarify that more specifically-- what are
you envisioning as pluralism? Can you define that more specifically in the
bylaws?
Ed: thanks, that an option. Were worried about adding a sexuality clause.
Henry: Can we instead define pluralism as understanding and clarifying in the
bylaws
Chelsea: taking out working together to articulate Gods truth...justice Did you
take out justice because of SJI? Why did you remove that part?
Ed: we see striving to celebrate and educate a way of articulating and valuing
Gods truth, we see there meaning as similar.
Kristen: Can we see these again in a final version?
Hannah: Ill send them out in 24 hours.
iii. New Scot Radio Position, Ryan Daly
Ryan: Adding a new paid position for Scot Radio, there are currently two-Director and Assistant Director but for the past few years they have had three
people running Scot Radio, we think it would be good to add that new position
with the changes happening in scot radio. Addition of a $250 position
David: Seems like a very natural progression, in bylaws there are three positions
listed. We divided up the money equally last year and all are merited equally?
Henry: How have you seen Scot Radio progress? Thnak would merit this
David: We hope this encourages less turnover and more fluid transitions.
Leadership gaps hurt the station so we want to pass things down more effectively
and with three positions that ends better.
Kevin: How long has this third position happened and how did it come about.
David: in the bylaws we have
Director
Director of content
Director of technology

GCSA Forum Minutes


16 September 2014
Transitioned into having a director of communications
Steve: Where would the money come from
Ryan: you would have to vote on this
Abel: not the stipend account?
Ryan: Nope, its .5% of the presidents salary.
Connor: would we lower the $500 position to $250? Because you are splitting the
work equally?
David: Last year we experimented with that but it became clear that having a
singular head director is a much more efficient way to run a station
Chelsea: We did approve David as the executive last semester
Henry: Club contingency, so it needs to be moved by the floor
Abel: Move to approve suggests, to fund $250 from club contingency
Steve Seconded, Unanimous Aye
iv. SDA Budget, Ryan Daly
Nick: SDA has had trouble in the past, we have 4 members and are considering
adding more. Budget simple. We need chairs to sent in and other easy supplies.
We want to spruce up the office to make it more legitimate. We also want to
encourage designers to keep learning
Ryan: what do you do?
Nick: free design work for all students and organizations on campus, we are
working on the Mens Ministry Poster and other big project.
Ryan: great opportunity for student to enter into the design world, learning and
club support. Geared toward education of students in it. Thats why we decided to
fund them. We want to give them money to pursue things and be meaningful off
that bat. We want to reaffirm their place on campus.
Abel: Im the Business manager for the tartan, mary, Editor and Chief, said that
the comm department may be able to buy furniture with comm capital expense
budget.
Henry: We can cover office decor because were hammering out the new plans
for changing the basement of Lane.
Steve: What would the Tartan need as a part of this budget
Nick: that line item is more specifically for the office so people can know where
the SDA and the Tartan are, design work for the door.
Nathanael: can we approve this now without office supplies and office decor line
items? Can we split the budget and table half and approve half?
Ezra: Can you explain designer projects
Nick: Weve previously just sat around and waited for clubs to come to us--we
want to be more active on campus. We want to attract the non art majors who
still want to learn design.
Steve: SDA works with students currently on campus to give clubs design tools
and teach students, so designer projects would be teaching tools.
Nick: Yes

GCSA Forum Minutes


16 September 2014
Jamie: How to people get involved? Hesitant about all money for few people
Nick: theres an application coming and I;ve been discussing possible members
with people. We dont want to keep people out we just want to make sure people
are committed.
Ezra: Move to separate Office decor and furniture from the rest of the
budget
Nathanael Seconded
Steve: motion approve newly revised budget
Michael Seconded
Questions?
Ezra: Whos in now?
Nick: We have a leadership team of seniors, 3 designers. Working to find new
freshman now.
Pharvy: Only open to art majors?
Nick: Nope.
Jamie: is there a precedent for giving money to learning?
Nathanael: this is an agency, they serve the school differently and they get
money to benefit the campus and the club.
Ryan: We have full faith as FAC
Kevin: How will the fund be used
Nick: Bylaws say to create work and educate, that doesnt come out of nowhere
Chelsea: SDA has student director. There is no stipend position.
Chris: Nick and I have a meeting to problem solve on organizational structure so i
recommend we table this discussion.
Jamie: John how are you going to work with SDA?
John: We met to clarify work stuff, were working on identity forming for clubs and
getting the brand ready, then well pass them to SDA after they know their
identity and need posters and other things. Well share the responsibility for logo
creation.
Ezra: there is the possibility of an assistant director
Ryan: Stipening is a different issue
Abel: this money is coming out of club contingency?
Steve: motion to approve revised budget
Pharvy seconded, Unanimous Ayes
ii. Scottie Faire Suggestions, Ezra Tandela
Ezra- Present
Rosie- Im on CEC, Ill take the Events to Hillary Rogers
Kuo: looking to have international week with different group presenting their own
countries and cultures
Kristen: under diversity, why is there an asterisk
Ezra: thats a typo, there's an asterisk because I was unsure how to portray the 2
cards i found
John: Can you upload this to your google folder?

GCSA Forum Minutes


16 September 2014
Steve: Can we run through this list and articulate them better and then send them
to organizations who can run with them better than we can.
Ezra: Already done! I have that decimation in another document. How can we
nicely show this to clubs?
Henry: we should provide the clubs with this information
Chelsea: we should also have Gianna follow up.
v. Gluten Free Preparation, Nathanael Lee
Currently looking into gluten free preparation, friend worried about lack of
contamination worry. Talking with dining services.
IX. Announcements
i. Office Hours, Bios, and Pictures
ii. Scavenger Hunt Pictures
iii. Presidents note:
iii. GCSA basketball Saturday 12-2pm
X. Adjourn

Centres d'intérêt liés