Vous êtes sur la page 1sur 12

The Dominguez Hills Photography Archival Project

By the late 1700s, Juan Jose Dominguez was raising hundreds of horses and cattle on the
Rancho San Pedro. Branded with the lemon shaped brand (DR) of the Dominguez family,
vast cattle herds minded by vaqueros (a term coined for a horse mounted livestock herder)
continued to shade the landscape throughout much of the century that followed, their hides
shipped off to Europe in exchange of money and goods.
In the picture above, one notices dairy operations being carried out in the south of
Dominguez hills on the Carson estate, 1902. Two vaqueros mounted on their horses stand
alongside four farmers with buckets for milk in their foreground. The picture also has a
woman standing next to her daughters, with a cattle ranch in the background. The family
farmers helped the citys economy by not only raising cattle, pigs, turkeys as well as sugar
beets, alfalfa, beans, hay, oats, barley and flowers but also operating the above mentioned
dairy farms.
Source:

Judith Gerber, (2008). Farming in Torrance and the South Bay (Images of America:
California). 1st ed. San Francisco: Arcadia Publishing.
Jerrils, Jack E. The History of a City...Carson, California. Carson, CA, 1972

The above picture is that of a farming practice being carried out on the land. A portable steam
engine was a common sight at harvest time, particularly in the 1800s. The separators, having
no power of their own, were driven by long rubber belts running from the steam tractors, for
threshing to separate the grains from the stalks and husks.
Sources:

Judith Gerber, (2008). Farming in Torrance and the South Bay (Images of America:
California). 1st ed. San Francisco: Arcadia Publishing.
Dominguez Hills Research Team

Del Amo Oil Well #1

In the early years of personally overseeing the inheritance, Gregorio del Amo focused
on leasing small parcels of land to individual farmers. While agricultural leasing
would continue for many years, del Amo introduced commercial and industrial land
use in the 1920s. In 1921, Dr. del Amo founded the San Pedro Ranch Nursery, which
soon began to serve an international clientele.
With the discovery of oil on del Amo land, however, petroleum production
immediately became central to the Gregorio and Susana del Amo fortune. They signed
the first oil lease in 1920, with the Chanslor-Canfield Midway Oil Company, and
Chanslor-Canfield started producing oil in 1922. In the years leading up to
incorporation, the del Amos signed additional leases with Texas Oil, Marland Oil,
United Oil, and other companies.
While the del Amos overall followed the Dominguez family practice of leasing land
rather than selling it outright, on October 5, 1926 they broke tradition by selling 332
acres to the Shell Oil Company, who wanted to build an oil refinery in the area.

Del Amo oil well came in June, 1922. The Chanslor-Canfield- Midway well No.1 on
the Del Amo Ranch gushed in over 900 barrels a day into the reservoirs under
pressure that were built for the particular well, this lead to a sudden interest in leasing
and leasing trade in Torrance district during that period.

Source:

Jennifer Allan Goldman (1922-1976). DEL AMO NURSERIES COLLECTION, .


[ONLINE] Available at: http://www.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/kt3c60201s/.
[Last Accessed 20 April 14].

1922, Five more oil wells to be drilled near Torrance as a result of good showing.
Torrance Herald. 22nd June, p.1
Discovery of oil in general in the Long Beach area

The oil drilling boom often associated with the Long Beach area had its beginning in
1921 when Shell Oil Company drilled its "Alamitos" No. 1 well on Signal Hill. This
first stage of development marked the beginning of the Long Beach Field and it was
not long before intense leasing and townlot drilling activity followed on the south and
east flanks of Signal Hill.
The natural gas pressure was so great that the gusher rose 114 feet. The well produced
almost 600 barrels a day when it was completed on June 25, 1922. It would eventually
go on to produce 700,000 barrels. Within a year, Signal Hill before and after a
residential area would have 108 wells that produced 14,000 barrels of oil a day.
There were plenty of derricks, people nicknamed it Porcupine Hill.
Stories of wells drilling out the side of Signal Hill, or into each other were common.
The frantic pace of drilling was dictated by attempting to beat the rig next door to
completion and get the flush production. Prior to the early 1930's a n~ber of the south
flank wells were directionally drilled to the north. In the early 1930's a law suit was
brought by one oil company and in 1935 the State passed a no trepass law.

Early development was confined to the southeast area of the field, but in October
1921, the completion of Shell Oil's Norsch #1 began another flurry of drilling on the
north side of the anticline. By 1922, after a discovery by General Petroleum (Mobil)
near Walnut and Willow streets, the field had been extended approximately three
miles to the northwest.

Deeper producing zones were soon discovered and production in 1923, two years
after the discovery well, was approximately 255,000 barrels of oil per day. Later
extension of the field carried it out further to the northwest. It was not uncommon for
new zone discovery well to come in at a production rate in the thousands of barrels of
oil per day. Shell, at one point, had 75 steam, rotary rigs drilling in the Long Beach
field. Most of the field had been outlined by drilling by 1925.

The producing area south of the Cherry Hill fault had been drilled and the Wilbur
zone, within the Repetto formation, above the Alamitos zone, was discovered. Later,
in 1936, a northwest extension along the southwest side of the fault was discovered.
In 1938, the DeSoto Oil Conpany discovered the deepest producing horizon, the
DeSoto zone, between 9,750 feet and 10,150 feet in the upper Miocene Mohnian stage
sands.

Below the DeSoto zone, sometimes included as a part of it, are a group
of productive sands named the Dolley zone. They were discovered in 1947 by Shell
Oil Company in well Dolley #1. This zone is approximately at the top of the lower
Mohnian stage and was encountered150+ feet above the non productive Schist
basement. Commercial production was never found in the Jurassic Schist
conglomerate, or the Schist basement rock.

In 1954 the Airport extension of the Long Beach field was discovered by Texaco, in a
fault separated, faulted northeast plunging anticlinal nose. The production was from
the Delmontian-Mohnian "Deep Zone". In all, about 100 wells were directionally
drilled. The main productive area lies under the Long Beach airport. There is a non
productive fault block between the main field and the airport area.

The Long Beach field had produced 904,535,000 barrels of oil through December
1986 and the Airport extension 10,648,000 barrels.

Source:

Linda C. Ames, (2009). Long Beach Oil Operations A History. AAPG Pacific
Section: Oil Producing Areas in Long Beach (1987). pp.31

Anon. Signal Hill brings California Oil Boom. [ONLINE] Available at:
http://aoghs.org/petroleum-industry-pioneers/signal-hill-brings-california-oil-boom/.
[Last Accessed 21 April 2014].

M.E.Wright (2009). LONG BEACH, RECREATION PARK, AND SEAL BEACH OIL
FIELDS LOS ANGELES COUNTY, CALIFORNIA . [ONLINE] Available at:
http://archives.datapages.com/data/meta/pacific/data/072/072001/pdfs/37_firstpage.pd
f. [Last Accessed 21 April 2014].

Early Parades of Los Angeles:


Rose bowl parade
Hollywood Christmas Parade
Strawberry Festival
Fiesta Parade
Chinese New Year Golden Dragon Parade

Anaheim Halloween Parade


(Taken from Marge Mcdonald, (1983). A Marmac guide to Los Angeles and Northern
Orange County. 1st ed. Canada: Pelican Publishing company.)

The beginnings of La Fiesta


Cinco de mayo was first celebrated at the Los Angeles Plaza in 1862 and reinforced the sense
of cultural and political identity among Mexicans in los angeles.Before each holiday La
Junta, organised a parade that preceded speech making and the fiesta. During the 1878
celebrations of Cinco De Mayo, Jose J. Carrillo headed the procession as grand marshall and
was followed by a band led by Hinlo Silvas.
La Fiesta de Los Angeles
La Fiesta de Los Angeles was an annual multi-day event celebrating Los Angeles and
Southern California's cultural heritage. The first celebration was held in April 1894. Canceled
during the Spanish-American War, it was revived in 1901 under the new name La Fiesta de
las Flores, and it continued through the 1940s. The festival was founded by Max Meyburg
and sponsored by the Los Angeles Merchants Association. The Chamber of Commerce and
Board of Trade became joint sponsors in 1896. The festival celebrated the unique history and
culture of Southern California. Advertisements for the 1896 event describe it as including a
parade of Spanish caballeros, Mexican vaqueros, Indians, and Chinese, a pageant, a
carnival of 30,000 maskers, and a floral parade. The main parade that year included United
States Marines, National Guard, local police, Spanish caballeros, Indians brought in from
near Temecula, and a Chinese dragon. The fiesta was unusual for an event at the time in its
celebration of multiculturalism.
Meyberg, a Los Angeles merchant, was credited with the idea of holding the annual
celebration known as La Fiesta de Los Angeles. Staged by the Merchants Assn., it featured
paradesa flower parade, a parade with floats, a torchlight processionand athletic
competitions, a costume ball, and a carnival attended by masked revelers
Today Fiesta de los angeles has come to be known as Fiesta Broadway. which begins as a
prelude to Cinco de Mayo celebrations of Latino culture. Max Meyberg was enthusiastic
about hosting a springtime event to attract tourist business as Los angeles was sinking under
depression and unemployment was soaring. The first Fiesta parade began on a Tuesday
morning, April 10, 1894. The Times started the festivities by firing a ceremonial cannon from
the roof of its building. Bells, train whistles and guns joined in the clamor. Horse-drawn
buggies, wagons and chariots, decorated with roses and spring flowers, were paraded up and
down Hill, Broadway, Spring and Main streets. Marching bands serenaded the crowd along
the streets with John Philip Sousa's patriotic marches.
The queen of La Fiesta was Suzanne Bate Childs, the wife of civic leader Ozro W. Childs Jr.
She was crowned at Central Park (now Pershing Square) and held court with grand marshal
Nick Covarrubias, a prosperous stable owner. They judged the "flower wars" -- merrymakers
who dueled jokingly with "swords" of long-stemmed flowers.

Rose bowl Parade


The Parade
This event began as a promotional effort by Pasadena's distinguished Valley Hunt Club. In the
winter of 1890, the club members brainstormed ways to promote the "Mediterranean of the
West." They invited their former East Coast neighbors to a mid-winter holiday, where they
could watch games such as chariot races, jousting, foot races, polo and tug-of-war under the
warm California sun. The abundance of fresh flowers, even in the midst of winter, prompted
the club to add another showcase for Pasadena's charm: a parade would precede the
competition, where entrants would decorate their carriages with hundreds of blooms.
During the next few years, the festival expanded to include marching bands and motorized
floats. The games on the town lot (which was re-named Tournament Park in 1900) included
ostrich races, bronco busting demonstrations and a race between a camel and an elephant (the
elephant won). Reviewing stands were built along the Parade route, and Eastern newspapers
began to take notice of the event. In 1895, the Tournament of Roses Association was formed
to take charge of the festival, which had grown too large for the Valley Hunt Club to handle.

The Rose bowl


In an effort to draw more crowds, and, more importantly, the attention of the East Coast
press, civic leaders also proposed a college football game . In 1902, the University of
Michigan, led by legendary coach Fielding Yost, took on Stanford University in the first
Tournament East-West Football Game. The game succeeded in drawing crowds, but
Michigans staggering 49-0 victory over Stanford sent the roughly 8,500 spectators into
pandemonium. Thereafter, football was deemed too dangerous, and beginning in 1904, it was
replaced with chariot racing, a popular novelty at the time. Other features were added as well,
including an unfortunately named comedy troupe called the Komical Knights of the Karnival
(or K.K.K.), a sort of precursor to Pasadenas Doo Dah Parade. Though the chariot races
attracted large crowds, they too were dangerous. Accidents were common and staging costs
were high, and by 1915, they were abandoned and football reinstated.

Anaheim Halloween Parade


A night time pageant of ghosts, goblins, jack-o-lanterns, and witches stretching a mile and a
half through the darkened streets of downtown, the annual Anaheim Halloween Parade has
become a Southern California family favourite.

The Parade was first held on October 30th, 1924 as part of the larger Anaheim Halloween
Festival that was begun the year before. An estimated 20,000 residents and neighbors from
nearby towns crowded onto the sidewalks on both sides of Center Street to watch the 45minute procession led by baseball superstars Babe Ruth and Walter Johnson.
Begun as a device for discouraging Anaheim youngsters from mischievous Halloween pranks
such as soaping windows, uprooting fences and damaging property, the Festival and Parade
were instantly successful and continued to grow in size and scope with each passing year. In
the mid-1950s, the Los Angeles Times heralded it as the biggest Halloween party in the
nation, with nearly 150,000 spectators lining the parade route during the height of its
popularity. By the late 1960s, the parade was being televised live each year throughout Los
Angeles and Orange County on KTLA.

Strawberry festival
Started in 1958, The Garden Grove Chamber of Commerce put on the first Garden Grove
Strawberry Festival as a way to bring together the east and west sides of Garden Grove.
Resident Tom Hoxie, a public relations professional, suggested a festival to celebrate the
areas then prolific strawberry fields. That first festival was held on a vacant lot in the
Brookhurst Triangle, an area bordered by Garden Grove Blvd., Brookhurst St., and
Brookhurst Way. And Hoxie, true to his profession, sent locally grown strawberries to a
monastery in Europe the festivals first PR ploy. The 1959 Garden Grove Strawberry
Festival was the first to include a parade, and had as its grand marshal silent movie matinee
idol Francis X. Bushman. There were no other celebrities in the parade, nor were there floats
or bands, as there are today. The parade consisted simply of a line of antique cars that
motored down Brookhurst St. to Westminster Blvd.
On the festival grounds visitors enjoyed carnival rides and strolled long row of booths where
they could buy a wide array of strawberry treats, fresh strawberries, other food and
merchandise.
In 1959 Hoxie came up with the idea for the first Red-Head Roundup contest, which is still
an annual festival event. Today prizes are awarded in eight redhead categories of baby,
toddler, cutest, teen, prettiest, classiest, red head with the most freckles, and Strawberry
Blond Image. In earlier contests prizes went to the curliest, tallest, best crew cut and prettiest
redheads, as well as the Largest Redheaded Family and the Best Redhead Smile. The Berry,
Berry Beautiful Baby contest, Strawberry Idol Karaoke contest and the competition for Tiny
Tots King and Queen were added later and remain today.

Hollywood Christmas Parade

The brainchild of businessman Harry Blaine and the Hollywood Boulevard Association,
which promoted the thoroughfare as the "world's largest department store," Santa Claus Lane
lured shoppers away from downtown's dominant Broadway retail district with winking lights,

daily processions featuring a reindeer-drawn sleigh, and plentiful, brightly decorated


Christmas trees. Each November beginning in 1928, extravagant holiday decorations
transformed a one-mile stretch of Hollywood Blvd. between Vine and La Brea into Santa
Claus Lane.
The first year, 100 living firs were dug up from the forest near Big Bear and placed along
Hollywood Blvd. in wooden planters. Once fully dressed in nearly 10,000 incandescent light
bulbs, the trees lit the path for a nightly parade. Joined on his sleigh by a silver screen star,
Santa Claus greeted passersby as a team of six live reindeer pulled him down the boulevard.
After New Year's Day, the trees were replanted on the grounds of the Hollywood Bowl. To
complete the wintertime transformation, Hollywood Blvd. took on a new name. For one
month, signs at intersections read "Santa Claus Lane," and merchants updated their street
addresses to reflect the temporary name change. In 1931, the Hollywood Chamber of
Commerce expanded Santa Claus' nightly procession into an annual extravaganza, since
renamed the Hollywood Christmas Parade. A new standing tradition began with the making
of the first Grand Marshal, Comedian Joe E. Brown in 1932.
Thereafter, throughout the '30s and into the '50s, many well known celebrities, including
Bette Davis, Evelyn Venable and Mary Pickford all flipped the switch lighting the Christmas
trees, thereby officially beginning the holiday season.
During World War II, in the true spirit of the season, the metal Christmas trees were donated
to the war effort and the parade was suspended from 1942 to 1944. However, the first
Christmas Parade after the war had a record number of people coming out to celebrate. In
1946, nobody could have known that a favorite Christmas song would come out of the
Parade. But that's exactly what happened. When Gene Autry rode his horse, Champion, down
Hollywood Boulevard (or Santa Claus Lane) and heard all the children yelling, " Here comes
Santa Claus, Here comes Santa Claus", he couldn't help but come up with the idea for the
song he co-wrote with Oaklely Haldeman. Two years later, Bill Welsh and two cameramen
broadcast the first local televised parade to the people of Los Angeles.

Chinese New Year Golden Dragon Parade


Over one hundred years ago, the Chinese community began to participate in the parade of the
City of Los Angeles. In 1898, the Chinese lion and dragon procession were regarded as one
of the most beautiful unit in the Citys Annual La Fiesta Parade. With this initial participation
in the parade, the Chinese community was applauded for its contribution to the celebration.
The Fiesta committee immediately requested that the Chinese community permanently join in
this annual event. During these early years, the Chinese Merchants Association organized and
sponsored the lion dance procession, in addition to one or two parade floats. At one point the
organization also arranged for the use of a dragon from the Chinese community in
Marysville, California. Eventually, they raised $1,500 to acquire a dragon that required 25
men to maneuver.
In 1956, the Chinese Chamber of Commerce of Los Angeles (formerly Chinatown Chamber
of Commerce of Los Angeles) joined in the celebration. New dragonheads were imported
from Hong Kong and local family association members were hired to perform the cultural
dances. In the early 1960s, the lion and dragon dancers would visit every Chinese business

along the parade route. Financial support for the parade included fundraising dinners and
door-to-door solicitations to gather support from the Chinatown business community.
In the 1970s, actor and martial arts master Bruce Lee was the Grand Marshal of our parade.
Since then other Grand Marshalls have included David Carradine and Keye Luke from the
television series Kung Fu, Hugh Hefner of Playboy Magazine, Lindsay Wagner from
Bionic Woman, Dr. Haing S. Ngor from the motion picture The Killing Fields, Kieu
Chinh from Joy Luck Club, and Garrett Wang from televisions Star Trek Voyagers. Over
the years, many other celebrities have also participated in our Golden Dragon Parade.
Gorgeous and complex in design, the colorful dragons, made up of cloth and propped up by
bamboo poles, move in precise patterns to the drums, cymbals and gong. The green on the
dragon stands for an extraordinary harvest; yellow is for the solemn empire; prosperity is
represented by gold or silver; red is excitement; and the dragon's scales and tail are
shimmering silver that symbolize joy. It is hard to refrain yourself from feeling awed by the
sight of weaving dragons along the route.

Source:
Marge Mcdonald, (1983). A Marmac guide to Los angeles and northern orange county. 1st
ed. Canada: Pelican Publishing company.
William David Estrada (2008). The Los Angeles Plaza: Sacred and Contested Space. Texas:
The University of Texas Press. 70.
La Fiesta de Los Angeles Collection, 1894-1947, Braun Research Library Collection, Autry
National Center, Los Angeles;MS.207
Cecilia Rasmussen (2003). Downtown's Fiesta Began as a Multicultural Celebration.
[ONLINE] Available at: http://articles.latimes.com/2003/apr/27/local/me-then27. [Last
Accessed 22 April 2014].
Tournament of Roses (2014). Tournament of Roses History. [ONLINE] Available at:
http://www.tournamentofroses.com/History.aspx. [Last Accessed 22 April 2014].
Anaheim Halloween Parade (2013). Our History. [ONLINE] Available at:
http://anaheimhalloweenparade.org/our-history. [Last Accessed 22 April 2014].
Garden Grove Strawberry festival (2014). History of the Garden Grove Strawberry Festival.
[ONLINE] Available at: http://strawberryfestival.org/history/. [Last Accessed 22 April 2014].
Hollywood Christmas Parade. [ONLINE] Available at:
http://www.710kmpc.com/xmasparade.htm. [Last Accessed 22 April 2014].
Nathan Masters (2012). When Hollywood Boulevard became Santa Claus Lane. [ONLINE]
Available at: http://www.kcet.org/updaily/socal_focus/history/la-as-subject/when-hollywoodboulevard-became-santa-claus-lane.html. [Last Accessed 22 April 2014].

LA Chinese Chamber of Commerce (2013). The Golden Dragon Parade - A Los Angeles
Tradition. [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.lagoldendragonparade.com/. [Last Accessed
22 April 2014].