Vous êtes sur la page 1sur 16

PRESS RELEASES

"RONCHAMP TOMORROW" project

Renzo Piano/ Fondazione Renzo Piano

News developments: Nunnery, the Gatehouse and the environment


by Renzo Piano, Michel Corajoud and partners

Open house 8th September 11th September organized by


The Association 'uvre Notre-Dame du Haut (AONDH) and The Association 'The Friends
of St Colette' (AASC)

AONDH Chapelle Notre-Dame du Haut 70250 RONCHAMP AASC 6 rue du Chapitre 25000 BESANON

Summary

THE CHAPEL AT RONCHAMP

RONCHAMP TOMORROW PROJECT

FUNDING

RENZO PIANO BUILDING WORKSHOP

THE LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT MICHEL CORAJOUD

PARTNERS AND COMPANIES

10

THE OWNER OF THE SITE: AONDH (A NOT-FOR-PROFIT ORGANIZATION)

11

THE ASSOCIATION "THE FRIENDS OF ST COLETTE" (AASC)

12

THE COMMUNITY OF POOR CLARES

12

OPEN HOUSE

13

YOUR VISIT AND OTHER SERVICES

15

CAPTIONS AVAILABLE

16

DP/ AONDH AASC Ronchamp, du 8 au 11 septembre 2011

The Chapel at Ronchamp


The Chapel of Notre-Dame du Haut (Our Lady of the Height) overlooks the small town
of Ronchamp from the hill of Bourlmont. It was built by one of the twentieth
centurys most famous architects, Le Corbusier.
Marian pilgrimage place centuries, it opens to the four horizons as a space 'of silence,
of prayer, of peace; of inward joy' in the words of the architect Le Corbusier.
Site history
Since the middle ages, the 8th of September, day of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary, the Chapel
welcomes pilgrims ; the chapel belonged to the Church as property of the parish of Ronchamp.
During the French Revolution in 1789 it was sold as a property of the state to a merchant.
A few years later, about forty families and Ronchamps priest decided to buy the edifice back in order
to restore it to its initial function: a chapel dedicated to the cult of the Virgin Mary, and also a
pilgrimage site to which the local people were still very attached.
Thus, an almost unique and exceptional, the Chapel became private property, although of all of these
families. Today, the heirs form the Association based on the law 1901, with regard to ownership of
the site, the buildings and the image of the Chapel, in accordance with Le Corbusiers written will.
The construction of Le Corbusier
During the liberation of Ronchamp in October 1944, the edifice was partially destroyed by artillery.
The Besanon-based Diocesian Commission for Sacred Art (Commission diocsaine dArt Sacr
CDAS) it proposes to Le Corbusiers reconstruction; Le Corbusier hesitate then affected by the site
(its landscape, its human history and the fervor of its inhabitants) it undertakes to rebuild a building
with the stones of the old chapel and a cloak of white-washed reinforced-concrete. Notre-Dame du
Haut out of the ground in 1955.
To summarize
Architect: LE CORBUSIER [byname] Charles-Edouard JEANNERET (1887- 1965)
Place: Ronchamp (Haute-Sane)
Site: on the Bourlmont hill: chapel Notre-Dame du Haut, the pilgrims shelter, the chaplains house and the
monument for peace
Cultural significance: one of the great sites of contemporary sacred architecture
Construction dates: 1953-1955
Details of note: private chapel, property of the not-for-profit organization AONDH; pilgrimage chapel dedicated
to the Virgin Mary (August 15 and September 8)
Associated architect: Jean Prouv (1901-1984) for the campanile (1975)
Number of visitors: around 80,000 a year on average
Origin of the majority of visitors/number: France, Germany, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Italy, Japan,
Belgium, Spain, Czech Republic, United States

DP/ AONDH AASC Ronchamp, du 8 au 11 septembre 2011

Ronchamp Tomorrow project


Launched at the fiftieth anniversary of the Chapel in 2005, a refection on the future of
the site has identified the need to support more visitors to the site.
Silence, peace found again and getting back to nature are at the heart of the Ronchamp Tomorrow
project. Three complementary construction sites have been launched with the Renzo Piano Building
Workshop together with the landscape designer Michel Corajoud, to allow visitors to the chapel of
Notre-Dame du Haut, both pilgrims and lovers of architecture, to find on the site the serenity they
need to take in to the fullest the work of Le Corbusier.
The Chapels Gatehouse
As a replacement to the current reception building: Renzo Piano will build a new Gatehouse for
visitors that is more balanced, spacious, open to culture, architecture and the sacred. It will also be
the new headquarters of AONDH.
The convent for the Community of Poor Clares
This will consist of small living and work units for a community of a dozen international Poor Clares
on the backside of the site; an oratory, and a place to stay, a spiritual retreat, will be open to all.
Renzo Piano will bring the ensemble to life in a discrete way.
The landscape
The hill has been taken care of for more than 50 years but the trees today need to be treated, some
replanted; the landscape architect Michel Corajoud plans replanting, remodelling some of the
landscape spaces and a landscaped parking area, employing the standards of sustainable
development and in the respect the environment.
To summarize
Contracting owner/project sponsor: AONDH and the Association des Amis de Sainte-Colette (AASC)
(Organization of Friends of Sainte-Colette, the not-for-profit organization of the Poor Clares)
Project management: Renzo Piano Building Workshop and the landscape architect Michel Corajoud
Site: on the sides of the Bourlment hill: chapels Gatehouse, convent for the Community of the Poor Clares,
landscaped parking
Issues at stake: spiritual, architectural, touristic and environmental
Construction dates: 2008-2011
Partners: the Franciscan community the Trois compagnons, the Fonds national damnagement et de
dveloppement du territoire, Franche-Comt Evasion, Parc rgional des Ballons des Vosges, the Association
The Friends of Le Corbusier
Financed by: the Communaut de Commune Rahin-Chrimont, the Conseil gnral de la Haute-Sane, the
Conseil rgional de Franche-Comt, the Fonds europen de dveloppement rgional, the Diocese of
Besanons, the Diocese of Fribourg-in-Brisgaus, Funders and donors to the Foundation of Monasteries, the
Stavros Niarchos Foundation, the donors to the Chapel at Ronchamp
Financed by: donations, own resources, patronage and loans
Budget: chapels Gatehouse: 21% (2,000,000 euros); landscape: 34% (3,300,000 euros); Convent for the
Community: 45% (4,000,000 euros)

DP/ AONDH AASC Ronchamp, du 8 au 11 septembre 2011

Funding

DP/ AONDH AASC Ronchamp, du 8 au 11 septembre 2011

Renzo Piano Building Workshop


The Project
The scope of the project is to create a peaceful environment, whose quiet and discreet
beauty highlights and complements the chapel, while at the same time enhancing
existing facilities for visitors reception. Immersed in the lush vegetation of the
Bourlemont hill, the monastery is a place of silence, prayer, peace and joy, where
everything contributes to spiritual contemplation.
The project includes three main items: the gatehouse, the nunnery, and the
landscape.
The Gatehouse
In order to enhance the existing visitors facilities, the original gatehouse has been replaced with a
new more functional building that houses a ticket office, corner shop, bioclimatic garden and a
meeting room, along with administrative spaces. Part of the building is also dedicated to the research
and conservation of the archives.
Cut into the slope of the hill the new gatehouse merges within the surrounding landscape. It features
a large glazed faade that opens to the visitors arrival area and parking.
The Monastery
The monastery is composed of twelve domestic units for the sisters with spaces for common living
(refectory and workshops), an oratory for religious pilgrims, and a lodge to host visitors in search of
quiet and spiritual rest.
The rooms are small independent concrete units that are set into the hillside (2,70m x 2,70m). They
are positioned in clusters that gently slope down the west side of the hill offering a cleared view of
the valley thereby establishing a relationship with the community. Simple and spare, they are each
given an individual winter garden, a space entirely dedicated to contemplation.
The oratory is conceived as part of the monastery. Positioned off the chapels site, it is embedded
into the slope of the hill, creating a harmonious space with the chapel and the site. The oratory aims
at being a place of communion open to pilgrims of all communities.
The building palette for the complex is simple: concrete, zinc, and wood to create an environment
propitious to meditation.
The environment
Nature also plays a fundamental role in the project, highlighting the sacred and remote aspect of the
site.
Preservation of the existing vegetation and forestation of the slopes helps create a sense of unity and
sacredness throughout the design.
The project has been conceived taking into consideration all environmental procedures possible to
reduce energy consumption.

DP/ AONDH AASC Ronchamp, du 8 au 11 septembre 2011

Rehabilitation of the Ronchamp site


Beginning of the project: 2006
Client: Association uvre Notre-Dame du Haut + Poor Clares (Association Sainte Colette)
Landscape : Atelier Corajoud
Consultants : Sletec Ingnierie, M. Harl, C.Guinaudeau, P.Gillmann, Nunc/L.Piccon
Monastery area: 1700 m, Gatehouse area: 450 m, Roofed area: 1386 m (convent : 263 m ; Poor Clares
living area : 296 m ; workshops : 120 m ; oratory : 260 m ; guest quarters: 443 m). All these areas are
fragmented into several small volumes.
Budget: 9.000.000 including landscaping and site rehabilitation
Program: design of a convent with its related functions; demolition of the existing gatehouse and construction
of a new one; demolition of the existing parking lot to be replaced by a smaller, planted one; landscaping and
overall rehabilitation of the site.
The Convent : the living spaces of the nuns consist of: 12 cells and spaces for common living (1 common room;
1 refectory with annexed kitchen; 2 cells for the disabled; 1 infirmary)
Guest quarter : a nondenominational space for hosting visitors made up of 8 cells + 1 cell for disabled; 1 dining
room; 1 small meeting room, 2 workshops (sewing rooms), 2 offices (12 m), 3 parlors (10 m), 1 oratory for
35 people
The Gatehouse : 1 building with public and administrative parts. The part open to public includes: a small
meeting room, 1 ticket office, 1 refreshment corner, 1 shop corner, 1 bioclimatic winter garden, public
restrooms. The part dedicated to administration includes: 1 first aid room, 1 office for researchers, 1 archive
(Le Corbusiers work)

Renzo Piano/ Fondazione Renzo Piano

Landscaping : including: demolition of the existing parking lot replaced with a smaller planted parking lot,
enhancement of the ancient path leading from Ronchamp up to the Chapel, requalification of the entire site
(clearance, planting etc)

Renzo Piano Building Workshop (RPBW): http://www.rpbw.com

Renzo Pianos Biography


Renzo Piano was born in Genoa in 1937 into a family of builders.
He developed strong attachments with this historic city and port and with his fathers
profession.
While studying at Politecnico of Milan University, he worked in the office of Franco Albini. After
graduating in 1964, he started experimenting with light, mobile, temporary structures.
Between 1965 and 1970, he went on a number of trips to discover Great Britain and the
United States.
In 1971, he set up the Piano & Rogers office in London together with Richard Rogers, with
whom he won the competition for the Centre Pompidou. He subsequently moved to Paris.
From the early 1970s to the 1990s, he worked with the engineer Peter Rice, sharing the
Atelier Piano & Rice from 1977 to 1981.
In 1981, the Renzo Piano Building Workshop was established, with 150 staff and offices in
Paris, Genoa, and New York.

DP/ AONDH AASC Ronchamp, du 8 au 11 septembre 2011

Renzo Piano/ Fondazione Renzo Piano

2006-2011
Rehabilitation of the Ronchamp site
Ronchamp, France

Client: Association Oeuvre Notre-Dame du Haut + Poor Clares (Association Sainte Colette)
Renzo Piano Building Workshop, architects
in collaboration with Atelier Corajoud, landscape architects (Paris)

Design team: P.Vincent (partner in charge), F.Bolle with N.Boutet, C.Eliard, C.Klipfel, L.Lemoine,
N.Meyer, J.Moolhuijzen (partner), M.Prini, D.Rat, E.Rossato-Piano, V.Serafini, and A.Olivier,
M.Milanese, L.Leroy; O.Aubert, C.Colson, Y.Kyrkos (models)

Consultants: SLETEC (structure, MEP and cost control); M.Harl (graphics and signage); C.
Guinaudeau (planting); Nunc / L.Piccon (project co-ordination); P.Gillmann (construction
management)

DP/ AONDH AASC Ronchamp, du 8 au 11 septembre 2011

The landscape architect Michel Corajoud


Considered as one of the founders of revival of the landscape architecture profession,
Michel Corajoud has established himself by a multi-faceted and strong personality. It
was in a fierce struggle against the tendency of older landscape architects who
wanted to "naturalise" the city that he based both his thinking and practice. As he
himself expresses it : "Until the beginning of the 1970s, French landscape architects
were trained in the horticulture school style, and they therefore neglected to learn
about city and architecture. It is thus the idea of "nature" which, the most often,
presided over their work on urban spaces. I thus asserted the idea that the work of
landscape architects on interstitial space should be, on the contrary, an introductory
form of architecture, that harmony of purpose was necessary between buildings
and the exterior spaces that they determine."
The environment:
Objectives: to redesign the access roads to the Chapel and to the Nunnery; to have a landscaped car
parking area; to promote, care and replanting of trees; to ensure reafforestation of the outskirts of
the Fraternity and to take into consideration ecology and sustainable development: renewable
energy, global warming, insulation
Michel Corajoud's biography
Born July 14, 1937 in Annecy, Michel Corajoud initially was a decorator.
Landscape architect qualified by the Ministry of Agriculture, he first worked in
collaboration with Jacques Simon from 1964 to 1966 then, from 1966 to 1975, in
association with AUA (the City Planning and Architecture Workshop) where he
formed, with Henri Ciriani and Borja Huidobro, an urban landscape team.
Winner of the 1992 National Award for Landscape Architecture.
Studio profile
Since 1975, he works in association with Claire Corajoud, landscape architect. The
office staff is composed by 4 landscape architects, 1 architect and 1 secretarie.
Since 2008 : Associated with Yannick Salliot and Jos-Luis Taborda in the SARL
HORIZON / Corajoud-Salliot-Taborda workshop

Michel Corajoud (http://corajoudmichel.nerim.net)

DP/ AONDH AASC Ronchamp, du 8 au 11 septembre 2011

Partners and companies

They also thank all the companies of the site, as well as companies that contribued to the interiors of
different buildings:
Vitra
Riva 1920
iGuzzini
Casalgrande Padana
Globo
Vismara
Velux
Condor Balno
Caminus Artis

10

DP/ AONDH AASC Ronchamp, du 8 au 11 septembre 2011

The Owner of the Site: AONDH (a not-for-profit organization)


AONDH - Association uvre Notre-Dame du Haut is a not-for-profit organization based in
Ronchamp on the same site as the chapel. The organization has about forty members and a Board of
Directors, currently presided over by Jean-Franois Mathey, retired university professor and native of
Ronchamp whose father, Franois Mathey, an admirer of Le Corbusier, chose the architect for the
reconstruction of the edifice in 1953.
This organization, the Association uvre Notre-Dame du Haut (AONDH), is thus the owner of the
built and un-built site: chapel, outbuildings, land (of which a great number of parcels came from later
purchases and gifts), etc, as well as all of Le Corbusier s rights on the site, the right to reproduce or
to authorize any reproduction of his work, and the artistic property of the said chapel with its
royalties and the assessment pertaining to them. This was posed in a notary act on 6 January 1956,
filed with the minutes of Matre Carraud, notary public in Vesoul, and duly registered.
The AONDH welcomes over 80,000 visitors each year from all over the world.

Board of directors
President: Jean-Franois Mathey
Vice-president: Jean-Marie Maire
Ex officio members: Louis Mauvais, chaplain; Monseigneur Andr Lacrampe, Bishop of Besanon
Secretary: Jean-Jacques Virot
Treasurer: David Tourdot
Members of the Board: Inge Linder-Gaillard, Agns Veyssire and Nol Roncet

11

DP/ AONDH AASC Ronchamp, du 8 au 11 septembre 2011

The Association "The Friends of St Colette" (AASC)


Association based on the law of 1901 and providing legal support for the Poor Clares of Besanon.
The Association shall act as Clerk of Works for everything relating to the Clares Nunnery, and is a
signatory, with AONDH, of a leasing contract for the building.
Board of directors
President: Raoul SAURON
Vice-presidents: Jacques MOREL
Ex officio members: Louis MAUVAIS, chaplain; Monseigneur Andr LACRAMPE, Bishop of Besanon
Jean-Franois MATHEY, President of the AONDH
Secretary: Genevive SACHOT (Sister Marie-Claire)
Treasurer: Brigitte DE SINGLY (Sister Brigitte)
Members of the Board: Yves CALAIS, Marc LAMIREY, Hlne GROSJEAN (Sister Marie-Nol),
Albertine BOLLE-REDDAT (Sister Marie-Cline)

The Community of Poor Clares


Established in Besancon from the middle of the 13th century, the Poor Clares have long fostered
overseas missions in Asia (since 1932) and Africa (since 1954) and, from 1973, they have played host
to foreign (female) students of the "Centre de Linguistique Applique", part of the University of
Besanon.
Their multicultural presence here reflecting contemporary society, will give the place a new
momentum.
Details: see the press release of the Community

12

DP/ AONDH AASC Ronchamp, du 8 au 11 septembre 2011

Open house
Four days to explore the project created by Renzo Piano Building Workshop and the
Studio Michel Corajoud.

Thursday, September 8
10 h 00 - 19 h 00 Open house

Friday, September 9
10 h 00 - 19 h 00 Open house

10 h 00

Pilgrimage

09 h 00

Office in the Chapel

10 h 30

Office in the Chapel

10 h 30

Reception for partners

12 h 00

Blessing of the
Monastery and visit
Renzo Piano and Michel
Corajoud

11 h 00

15 h 30

Marian prayer

Home and visit for the


President of the AONDH and
the chaplain Louis Mauvais
Presentation by Renzo Piano,
Michel Corajoud and Paul
Vincent.

17 h 30

Concert in the Oratory


Lole Cerri,
Eric Courrges,
Lydia Mechali,

13 h 00

Buffet reserv.

16 h 00

Official opening : JeanFranois Mathey and Raoul


Sauron

16 h 30

Speech

17 h 00

Official visit

19 h 00

Buffet reserv.

20 h 30

Concert "Les Chenestrels" at


the Chapel

13

DP/ AONDH AASC Ronchamp, du 8 au 11 septembre 2011

Saturday, September 10

Sunday, September 11

10 h 00 - 19 h 00 Open house

10 h 00 - 19 h 00 Open house

09 h 00

Office in the Chapel

11 h 00

10 h 30

Seminar The
Association "Friends
of Le Corbusier"
Information: D. Claudius-Petit:
dominique@claudius-petit.fr

Office in the Chapel


With the "Esslinger
Vocalensemble"

12 h 30

Buffet reserv.

14 h 30

"Concert-promenade"
with the "Esslinger
Vocalensemble":
Marie-Valerie Track,
and Hartmut Wolf

15 h 30

Concert in the Oratory:


Marie-Claire Leblanc
and Patrick Ruby

16 h 30

Renaissance Music and


Baroque Music in the
Chapel: Martina
Krner and Dorothee
Mack

15 h 00

Visit for the locals, etc.

17 h 30

Concert: "Bruchsaler
Instrumentalensemble
fr Alte Musik" in the
Chapel

18 h 30

20 h 00

14

Concert: "Harmonie
ronchampoise" in the
Chapel
welcome drinck for
locals

DP/ AONDH AASC Ronchamp, du 8 au 11 septembre 2011

Your Visit and Other Services


Address
Chapelle Notre-Dame du Haut
70250 RONCHAMP
Getting to Ronchamp
By car
Ronchamp is situated on the Route Nationale 19 between Belfort (20 km) and Lure (10 km).

By train
From the Paris train station Gare de l'est" to Belfort: Departure 7:11am - Arrival 11:10am (except
Sunday)
TER" train line from Belfort to Ronchamp: Departure 7:53am - Arrival 8:13am/ Departure 12:21pm arrival 12:40pm/ Departure 5:25pm Arrival 5:46pm (tickets available at the Belfort train station)
TER" train from Ronchamp to Belfort: Departure 12:55pm Arrival 1:16pm/ Departure 6:16pm Arrival 6:37pm/ Departure 7:21pm - Arrival 7:40pm (Board the train and ask for a ticket from the
ticket inspector.) Please note: these times could change during the year; confirm the train times at
www.voyages-sncf.com and www.ter-sncf.com

By plane
Basle-Mulhouse airport: www.euroairport.com

Access from the City Center of Ronchamp


Shuttle every 15 minutes place de lEglise" (Church Square).
Pedestrian access through the Stations of the Cross

15

DP/ AONDH AASC Ronchamp, du 8 au 11 septembre 2011

Press Contact
Clarisse Franois
Phone: +33 (0)6 63 98 96 29
Email : chapellecom@laposte.net
10 Place du 14 juillet F-70250 RONCHAMP
Web sites
The Project: www.ronchamp-2008-2010.fr
The Chapel at Ronchamp: www.chapellederonchamp.fr
The Community of Poor Clares: www.clarisses-a-ronchamp.fr
Renzo Piano Building Workshop: http://www.rpbw.com
Michel Corajoud : http://corajoudmichel.nerim.net

Captions available

1. Sister Brigitte de Singly and Renzo Piano visiting the site - ph. Michel Denanc
2. Paul Vincent and the Sisters visiting the site - Renzo Piano Building Workshop
3. Sketch, site plan - Renzo Piano Building Workshop
4. Site plan - Renzo Piano Building Workshop
5. Plan, Renzo Pianos sketch - Renzo Piano Building Workshop
6. Model, plan - Renzo Piano Building Workshop
7. Oratory, elevation - Renzo Piano Building Workshop
8. Oratory, Renzo Pianos sketch - Renzo Piano Building Workshop
9. Oratory, plan - Renzo Piano Building Workshop
10. Cell, Renzo Pianos sketch - Renzo Piano Building Workshop
11. Cell, plan - Renzo Piano Building Workshop
12. Cell, elevation - Renzo Piano Building Workshop
13. Break room with its patio - ph. Michel Denanc
14. Cell, internal view with its Winter garden - ph. Michel Denanc
15. Cell, view through the Winter garden - ph. Michel Denanc
16. The landscape, Renzo Pianos sketch - Renzo Piano Building Workshop
17. Reference, the wood
You can download high resolution files:
ftp.rpbw.com
username : PRESS
password : Iconics64
folder: Ronchamp dossier de press

16

DP/ AONDH AASC Ronchamp, du 8 au 11 septembre 2011

Centres d'intérêt liés