Vous êtes sur la page 1sur 7

Registration FAQ - APEGM

870 Pembina Highway

Winnipeg, MB R3M 2M7










Member Registration > FAQ

Member Registration
Frequently Asked Questions

to expand. Click

to close.

Academic Assessment
ABC Test
Professional Practice Exam
Professional Member
Renewal, Reinstatement, Special Status
US Licensee

Past Exam
exam samples

See what's coming up

Join a committee

1. Why must I be a member of APEGM to practise in Manitoba?
It is the law. The Engineering and Geoscientific Professions Act, an Act of the Manitoba Legislature,
states that to legally practise Engineering or Geoscience in Manitoba, you must be registered as a
Professional Member of APEGM or practice under the supervision of a Professional Member of
To become a P.Eng. or P.Geo. you must either enroll as an member-in-training with APEGM or
transfer in as a P.Eng. or P.Geo. under the inter-association mobility agreement with another
provincial engineering or geoscience regulator. However, there is no transferring of status at the MIT

2. Why is the membership process complicated, how much does it cost, and how long does it take?
The short answer is that the membership process is complicated because APEGM reviews
applications thoroughly. Since the process partly depends on the number of applications we receive,
and the availability of our volunteer committee members, we cannot guarantee a specific timeframe.
Cost also varies. For example, if you are an internationally educated professional, the membership
process can cost up to $7,000 and take up to 7 years to complete.

3. What is my APEGM Member ID #?

As part of the membership process, APEGM will assign you a Member ID #. You can use your
Member ID to log in to your profile on the APEGM website. If you are or have been a Student
Member or an Academic Assessment applicant, or have previously been registered with APEGM, you
will already have an APEGM Member ID #. Please quote this number when you contact our office. If
you are uncertain whether or not you have a Member ID #, make sure you ask. We do not want to
create duplicate records for you.

4. Who, in addition to APEGM, can help me navigate the membership process?

APEGM recommends that you establish informal relationships with Professional Members to provide
advice, support, and impartial guidance. Consider networking through industry events such as
APEGM's annual Ingenium Conference and annual Student Networking Event.

5. English is not my first language but I received my undergraduate degree in English. Do I meet
APEGM's English language proficiency requirements?
Yes. However, APEGM reserves the right to require any applicant to demonstrate proficiency in oral
and written English. See > Language Requirements for details.

http://www.apegm.mb.ca/RegistrationFAQ.html[12/8/2015 9:36:40 AM]


Registration FAQ - APEGM

6. Who do I contact for more information about membership with APEGM?

Contact the APEGM Director of Admissions.

7. What if I have started the MIT process in another province?

If you are enrolled as an MIT in another province, and are moving to Manitoba, you are advised to
remain enrolled in that province, complete your registration, and register in Manitoba later as a
Mobility applicant.

Academic Assessment
1. Can I apply for an Academic Assessment before I settle in Manitoba?
Yes. You may submit your complete application package by mail or courier. We recommend that you
do not send originals but instead send notarized copies. APEGM is not responsible for documents
that go missing in the mail.

2. Must I be a permanent resident of Manitoba to have my credentials assessed?

You may apply for an academic assessment regardless of your immigration status. However, you
must physically be in Canada to write exams and you must be legally entitled to work in Canada in
order to obtain your Canadian work experience requirement.

3. How long will it take to receive my academic assessment results?

You should receive your results approximately four weeks following the receipt of all required
documents as listed in the application form. However, if APEGM requires additional information, or if a
full review is required, it will take longer.

4. Why does it take so long to have my foreign degree assessed?

Foreign degrees are more complicated to assess than domestic ones.

5. I cannot obtain the syllabus from the university I attended. What do I do?
If an official syllabus is not available, we recommend that you type each course description from
memory, send it to your university, and ask your university to stamp or seal each page to prove that it
is accurate and correct.

6. The application form instructs me to have my university mail my original transcript(s) directly to
APEGM. Must I really do this?
Yes. This requirement is mandatory. If your university no longer exists, please let us know.

7. I need to have my documents notarized and translated. Where do I go for this?

Please see > Language Requirements for details on notarized translations.

8. May I perform Engineering or Geoscience work while APEGM processes my application?

Yes, as long as you are working under the direct supervision of a Professional Engineer or
Geoscientist who takes full responsibility for your work. According to The Engineering and
Geoscientific Professions Act, you may not work as a Professional Engineer or Geoscientist, nor
assume any title implying that you are a Professional Engineer or Geoscientist, until you become
registered as such with APEGM.

9. Why must I complete confirmatory exams if I've already studied the subjects in the CEQB syllabus?
Confirmatory examinations are assigned to confirm the level and quality of your academic training.
They are professional-level examinations, covering material typically studied in the final two years of a
bachelor's program.
Confirmatory examinations are assigned to confirm knowledge that you have, therefore, APEGM will
not waive confirmatory examinations based solely on the fact that you have taken courses that
appear similar to the assigned examinations. The assignment of confirmatory examinations should

http://www.apegm.mb.ca/RegistrationFAQ.html[12/8/2015 9:36:40 AM]

Registration FAQ - APEGM

not be taken as an indication of the quality of your degree(s).

10. Can I appeal to waive exams? What is the appeal process?

Yes. Please see Appeals for details on the appeals process. Please note that if you appeal to waive
exams (other than Engineering Economics) only on the basis that you have taken the material
covered in the syllabus, APEGM will reject your appeal. (See Question #9 above)

11. What if I fail to complete the exams within the stated timeframe?
If you are unable to write all the exams within the stated timeframe, you may submit a written request
to APEGM to extend your timeframe, otherwise your file will be closed. Requests for extensions are
evaluated on a case-by-case basis. See > Exams or Alternatives for details.

12. What is the IEEQ program? How can I apply?

The Internationally Educated Engineers Qualification (IEEQ) program is an education program. It
helps internationally educated Engineers meet part of the requirements to become registered as
Professional Engineers with APEGM. If you complete the Academic Assessment process and are
assigned five (5) or fewer confirmatory exams, you are eligible to apply for the IEEQ program. IEEQ
is administered by the University of Manitoba and consists of matching exams assigned to courses
available at the university. The IEEQ program offers a comprehensive syllabus that includes matched
courses, a Law and Ethics course, a Canadian Culture in the Workplace course, and a co-op work
term placement. For details on the IEEQ and how to apply, visit umanitoba.ca

13. What happened after I pass the required exams or courses?

Once you pass the assigned exams or courses, you would be eligible to write the ABC Test and
become a Member-in-Training (MIT). APEGM will mail you information on how to write the ABC Test
and apply for the MIT program.

ABC Test
1. Must I write the ABC Test?
2. What if I fail the ABC Test?

1. What is the MIT program?
The MIT program is a mandatory pre-requisite to registration as a Professional Member of APEGM,
with a few exceptions (See Applicant Type). You must participate in the MIT program while you obtain
the work experience necessary to become registered as a Professional Engineer or Geoscientist. See
> Step 4: Member-in-Training for details.
Everyone claims work experience using progress reports submitted through their online profile. In
certain cases the paper progress report form can be used. Administrative fees will be levied on those
reports that are submitted late, if the MIT did not go through the academic assessment process first.
Former assessment applicants are exempt from late fees since they have already paid for their
academic assessment. However, they should still try to submit as promptly as possible.

2. Am I eligible for the MIT program?

You must either hold an accredited Engineering degree or complete an Academic Assessment and
be deemed academically qualified. You must be at least 18 years of age, and you must be legally
entitled to work in Canada. See Applicant Type to determine your eligibility.

3. Once I become an MIT, what next?

As an MIT, you will be required to participate in a structured program, whereby APEGM will guide,
record, monitor, and review the progress and quality of your Engineering or Geoscience work
experience, professional development, and volunteer service. You are expected to obtain
employment under the supervision of a Professional Engineer or Professional Geoscientist who is
registered with APEGM. Your supervisor must assume responsibility for your work, and you must
acquire the acceptable work experience, volunteer service, and professional development.

http://www.apegm.mb.ca/RegistrationFAQ.html[12/8/2015 9:36:40 AM]

Registration FAQ - APEGM

4. What is acceptable work experience?

APEGM requires all applicants for registration as Professional Members to have obtained at least
four years of acceptable work experience, normally following academic qualification, under the
guidance and supervision of a registered Professional Engineer or a registered Professional
Geoscientist. The supervisor assumes full responsibility for the technical quality of the MIT's work. At
least one year of this experience must be obtained in Canada.
Acceptable work experience is defined as comprising the practice of professional Engineering or
professional Geoscience, which must include the application of theory, as well as exposure to the
areas of practical experience, management, communication skills development, professionalism,
ethical responsibilities, and the social implications of Engineering or Geoscience.
See Work Experience for details, including downloadable PDFs outlining acceptable work experience
for Engineers and Geoscientists.

5. How will I know if my work experience will be acceptable to APEGM?

As an MIT, you will participate in a structured program to guide, record, monitor, and review the
progress and quality of your work experience.
As part of APEGM's mandatory MIT Program, you and your supervisor are required, for every six
months of your experience (or more often, if you change jobs), to submit progress reports to APEGM
describing your work experience. Our Experience Review Committee will consider these reports, and
will notify you of any concerns it may have regarding your work experience.

6. I want to register in another Canadian province. Will all provincial associations accept my work
experience obtained through a post-graduate degree, for example a Masters or PhD?
While APEGM does not set hard limits on the amount of experience that may be credited via postgraduate degree(s), other associations may. Often, at least one year of experience must be earned
outside of academia in order to register as a Professional Member. If you intend to register in another
province, and your registration as a Professional Member with APEGM was based purely on
academic experience, the other province may ask for additional requirements such as a description of
industry experience in order for you to become registered. Check the requirements in the other

7. I am planning on taking a Master's degree. Will that count toward my work experience?
If you are an MIT, if you obtain an M.Sc. degree in Engineering or Geoscience from an institution with
a recognized undergraduate program in the same discipline, if your thesis will be completed under the
guidance and supervision of a registered Professional Member, and if that Professional Member
considers the work completed in the preparation of the thesis to comprise the practice of Engineering
or Geoscience, you may receive work experience credit for your thesis work. You should keep track
of the time spent in preparing your thesis, and you should submit a progress report for every six
months' experience obtained. APEGM will determine how much credit you will receive for your thesis
work, as it progresses. You will be requested to complete a post-graduate experience allocation table.

8. How about a Ph.D. degree, and post-doctoral research work?

Provided that you are an MIT while completing your research work, and provided that it satisfies the
criteria for acceptable work experience, the work experience obtained during the preparation of the
doctoral thesis, or during post-doctoral research work, may well qualify as acceptable work

9. What if I'm working in an area different from the area of my degree?

The purpose of the work experience requirement is to demonstrate that you are able to put your
education into practice. If you are working in an area that differs from your discipline of graduation,
you may well require additional training or education, which will mean that you will likely require more
than the four-year minimum to obtain sufficient qualifying work experience. Every case is different
however, so please contact APEGM if you are uncertain.

10. What if I already have some work experience before I become an MIT?
If you have recently moved to Manitoba, and have obtained Engineering or Geoscience work
experience elsewhere, submit progress reports and supervisor reports for all Engineering or
Geoscience experience obtained outside the province as soon as possible after admission as an MIT.

APEGM will consider these reports, and will notify you as to the acceptability of your previous work
experience. You and your supervisor(s) will be required to submit progress reports every six months,

http://www.apegm.mb.ca/RegistrationFAQ.html[12/8/2015 9:36:40 AM]

Registration FAQ - APEGM

until you are eligible for registration as a Professional Member of APEGM. All feedback from the
APEGM Experience Review Committee goes back to your online profile, so you must log in to check.

11. What if some of my work experience was obtained in another country?

Foreign work experience may count for up to three years of your work experience requirement. This
time is verified using the normal progress reporting process. However, the supervisor for the reporting
period does not have to be a P.Eng. or P.Geo in Manitoba. To use the online reporting system, you
will have to give your supervior guest password access.
At least twelve months of your work experience must be obtained in Canada, or in a Canadian
environment such as a Canadian company abroad.
If you are an Academic Assessment applicant, APEGM will consider Canadian work experience that
is gained only after the date of academic qualification. Check your letter of academic qualification for
this date.

12. What if there is no Professional Engineer or Professional Geoscientist supervising my work?

The Engineering and Geoscientific Professions Act requires that all Engineering and Geoscience
work be performed by, or "under the immediate and direct personal supervision and guidance of", a
Professional Engineer or Geoscientist "who assumes all responsibility for the work." There must,
therefore, be a Professional Engineer or a Professional Geoscientist supervising your work.
If there is no Professional Engineer or a Professional Geoscientist at your place of employment, and
if your work involves the practice of Professional Engineering or Professional Geoscience, you must
have regular contact with a Professional Engineer or Professional Geoscientist who assumes all
responsibility for your Engineering or Geoscience work (a mentor). Ideally, your employer will engage
the Professional Engineer or Professional Geoscientist to serve as a consulting supervisor to you
while you obtain the necessary experience.
You must identify your supervisor(s) in your progress report forms, and you will be expected to advise
APEGM immediately if your supervisor ceases to assume responsibility for your work and you are
unable to find another Professional Member to supervise your work. Both the mentor Engineer or
Geoscientist and your direct (non-member) supervisor should complete their portions of the progress
forms for each 6 month period.

13. Why does it take so long for APEGM to provide feedback on my work experience progress reports?
APEGM must receive the following before sending progress reports to the Experience Review
Progress report
Supervisor report
Mentor report (if required)
Reasons for delays include:
Unresponsive supervisors - As an MIT, you are responsible for encouraging supervisors to
complete reports promptly. However, APEGM will urge supervisors to act upon your request
and if you have already tried to do so
Discipline-specific reviewers are unavailable
Too many reports to process at a given time
Your file(s) requires more clarification or discussion

14. APEGM has not responded to my work experience progress report in over three months even though
all comments have been submitted and are ready for review. What do I do?
If your report has been delayed more than 3 months, contact the APEGM Member-in-Training
Coordinator and they will look into why there is a delay.

15. What are the MIT volunteer service and professional development requirements?
Throughout your formative period, you will be expected to enhance your professional and personal
development by taking courses and seminars, attending conferences, becoming involved with
technical and professional organizations, etc., and generally developing a commitment to life-long
learning. As a part of the MIT program, you are required to develop an appreciation of the volunteer
nature of the profession, and to participate in volunteer service activities each year.
See Volunteer Service and Professional Development for details.

16. When will I be eligible to write the Professional Practice Exam (PPE)?

http://www.apegm.mb.ca/RegistrationFAQ.html[12/8/2015 9:36:40 AM]

Registration FAQ - APEGM

You must pass the PPE to become eligible to register as a Professional Member of APEGM. You
may write the PPE at any time it is offered once you are enrolled as an MIT.

17. I have nearly completed the MIT program. Now what?

APEGM will guide you through the MIT program to registration as a Professional Member. Once you
have nearly satisfied the requirements for your work experience, volunteer service, professional
development and National Exam, APEGM will invite you to submit references. You will be asked to
name three Professional Members who are familiar with your work and can provide references on
your behalf. Do not provide the references until requested. See MIT References for details.

18. What will APEGM ask my references?

Your references will be asked to verify your work experience, provide information on your growth in
terms of technical and professional judgment, and describe your professionalism, integrity, character,
ability to work effectively as part of a team, ability to assume responsibility, commitment to life-long
learning, etc. You can see the reference form on the MIT References page.

19. What if I move to another province before I complete the MIT program?
APEGM has adopted national guidelines, which require a minimum of four years of work experience.
While the work experience procedures may vary slightly from province to province, the work
experience you obtain in Manitoba should be eligible for consideration by another association. As
well, your successful completion of the Professional Practice Exam (PPE), which is a national
examination, will exempt you from having to write a similar exam in any other province.
Contact the association in your new province as quickly as possible to establish its requirements.
Many prefer to complete the APEGM MIT program once it is started, even if you move to another

20. I've been working at the same company for the last 36 months, but haven't submitted a report. Should I
still split the reports into 6-month intervals?
No. Please submit a longer and more detailed 36 month report. Do not submit 6 month intervals if you
have been working under the same supervision, and you are submitting after the fact.
Administrative late fees may be applicable and will be assessed after ERC approval.

21. Is there a time limit for me to submit Pre-Grad experience?

Not right now. However, as of June 30, 2015, the Experience Review Committee will no longer
accept pre-graduation work experince submitted more than 18 months after graduation.

Professional Practice Exam

1. What is the Professional Practice Exam?

Professional Member
1. I am registered elsewhere in Canada. Can I apply to become a Professional Member of APEGM?

Renewal, Reinstatement, Special Status

1. I am a Student Member in the process of applying for the Member-in-Training (MIT) program. APEGM
sent me notice to renew my membership. Do I need to renew?
2. I am a former member of APEGM. May I reinstate as a practising Professional Member?
3. If I am a Retired Member or a member on Deferred Dues, can I revert to a practising Professional
4. I plan to retire or resign from APEGM. Do you have any advice?
5. I allowed my APEGM membership to lapse without notice of resignation and was therefore deregistered. Can I still reinstate my membership with APEGM?

http://www.apegm.mb.ca/RegistrationFAQ.html[12/8/2015 9:36:40 AM]

Registration FAQ - APEGM

6. Who do I contact for more information about reinstatement with APEGM?

US Licensee
1. Should I apply for US Temporary Licence or US Mobility?
2. What are the criteria for U.S. Mobility?
3. If I'm a Temporary licensee, but I don't meet the U.S. Mobility criteria because, for example, my
Bachelor's degree is from another country, what do I do?
4. I'm a PE from the States, but I'm also registered as a P.Eng. from Alberta, what should I do?
5. Which application should I use?

2015 APEGM All rights reserved. site


http://www.apegm.mb.ca/RegistrationFAQ.html[12/8/2015 9:36:40 AM]