Vous êtes sur la page 1sur 15

Running head: Tourism 1

Paris

Jimmy Kisakwa
Paris 2

Place Charles De Gaulle

Historical name is Place de l'toile, or star square meaning the star


It is a large road intersection in Paris where twelve straight avenues meet; the roundabout

is situated on a hill.
Got renamed in 1970 after the death of President Charles de Gaulle
Being on a hill, it was leveled to in 1770 so as to reduce the slope, and the poor roads

that connected through it were brought to good condition


Despite of the avenues that converge at Place Charles de Gaulle, one cannot access the

place on foot since there is no pedestrian access. People are advised not to cross the

intersections because it is dangerous.

Arc de Triomphe

It is located on the Place Charles de Gaulle Etoile, its construction started in 1806 and

later stopped in 1811 due to the death of Chalgrin who was the architect.
It is one of the unique and beautiful avenues in the world.
It is a big roundabout which was developed on a hilly place called Colline du Roule
It is a crossroad for five major lanes
It is the biggest monument in the world
It was commissioned by the Napoleon
Some people find it difficult to visit the place due to lack of access, it is only accessed

through an underground tunnel.


It is a commemoration of the Napoleon Is victory and the terraced roof gives Paris a

good look
It is associated with military glory and it is the place where French Army victories are

commemorated
Among the French monuments, Arc de Triomphe is the most iconic

Champs Elyses

I t is the most attractive and famous avenue in the word


In France it is known as "La Plus Belle Avenue du Monde"
It is located on the northwest of Paris and stretches from the de la Concorde towards the

Place Charles de Gaulle where the Arc de Triomphe is


Paris 3

Its length is approximated to be 1.25 miles, it is located at the citys ritzy 8th

arrondissement
The French meaning for Champs-lyses is "Elysian Fields" which is believed to be a

resting place for gods and other religious leaders and figures
Initially Champs-lyses were fields where merchants of Paris had gardens
It gained a fashionable reputation in the 18th century as a Parisian spot, large buildings

were erected along the avenue that gave it an impressive look


The large and upscale homes included the Hotel de Crillon, and Elysee Palacewhich was

frequented by the French royalty and aristocrats


In 1828, Champs-Elysees got official declaration as a municipal property Paris as the

city added gas lamps and fountains and also cleared the footpaths.
After completion of the construction in 1836, the building was commissioned by the

Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte in honor of the soldiers who fought the Napoleonic Wars.
The Champs-lyses grew and developed to a well-established commerce and culture

centre of Paris and also a source of national pride


The place is known for historical events that took place in June 1940 when the German

soldiers matched through the town as they celebrated the fall of France at the beginning

of World War II, the American soldiers also matched down the Champs-lyses after

liberating the French at the end of the war.


Due to the historical events that took place, Champs-lyses got to the limelight of the

world and this made the cost of living high


The place accommodated millions of visitors and locals and as the population grew, the

place got expanded to accommodate more people.


This place has held several great cultural activities like the Words Fair that drew people

across the world. Every Bastille Day, military parades pass the street as thousands of

onlookers watch.

Statue of Charles de Gaulle

It stands next to the Champs Elyses


Charles de Gaulle paraded on the Champs Elysees in 1944 after the liberation of Paris
Paris 4

He later formed a new government


Charles de Gaulle passed on at the age 80 in 1970

Petit Palais

It is also known as the city of Paris the museum of fine arts


It is open to public daily from 10am to 6pm
Ticket office are closed at 5pm except public holidays
Admission charges are different as it is free to the permanent collections while the

temporal exhibitions are charged


The Petit Palais garden cafe which is always closed on Mondays offer services from

10am 5:15pm while the bookshop and the shop are opened from 10am to 6pm and

closed on Mondays.

Palais Elyses

This is the official residential place for the president since 1848
It accommodates the presidents office and meeting conference
It was built next to champs-Elysees
The name Elysee was derived from the Elysian fields, a place believed to be for the

blessed dead
All important guests visiting the place are hosted at a close by Htel de Marigny which is

a palatial place

Place de la Concorde

It is among the public squares in Paris, it covers 8.64 hectares and the largest square in

France. It got the name in 1975 as a symbol of coming together after the turmoil of the

French revolution.
Located at the eighth arrondissement towards the eastern end of Champs-Elysees
It was designed in 1755 by Ange-Jacques Gabriel as a moat-skirted octagon that linked

the Champs-Elyses on the western and to the east, Tuileries Garden.


There are two wonderful identical stone buildings on the north end
Paris 5

The buildings on the eastern side once served as the French Naval Ministry, currently the

luxurious Htel de Crillon which is within the building was named after the previous

owners

Obelisk of Luxor

It is 23metres high standing at the middle of the Place de la Concorde in Paris where the

metro station was located


Originally it was located at the entrance of Luxor Temple in Egypt, it was considered to

be a historical monument back in 1936


The Luxor Obelisk is approximated to be over 3,000 years and initially it was located

outside the Luxor Temple, its first arrival was in December 1883 shipped from Luxor, it

was moved through Alexandria and Cherbourg. Three years later, king Louis-Phillipe

moved it to the Place de la Concorde


Later, the Egyptian ruler, Muhammad Ali gave it to France as a gift.
In 1998, the French government added a gold-like leaf cap at the top to cover the missing

pyramidion that was believed to have been stolen. In 1993, it was covered with a giant

pink condom in commemoration of World Aids Day. In 1998 and 2000 respectively, a

French urban climber, Spiderman climbed it without using any climbing equipment.

Hotel Crillon

It is a comfortable famous hotel that was opened by 1909


Hotel Crillon is located at the top of the Champs-lyses a construction on place de la

Concorde in Paris
Carillon was clogged in 2013 for renewal and planned to reopened by 2016
In 1775, the building was used as the venue of official signing of treaties of France and

United States
The Hotel de Crillon was division of the Socit du Louvre, whose shares are listed on

the Paris Stock Exchange


Paris 6

Admiralty Headquarters

Title created during the time of Eighth Crusade by Louis IX France in 1270
The title was equal to a Constable of France
Very few admiral were sailors during the new era because the power of a commandeer

was small
The title had political influence and was a lucrative post, another headquarter was

established in Rouen
In 1627 Cardinal Richelieu suppressed the admiralty who was to take the post of Grand

Master of Navigation

Maxims Restaurant

Located in Paris at No. 3 rue Royale in the 8th arrondissement and held international

celebrities of the 1950s


Commonly known for its famous Art Nouveau interior dcor, during its renovation,

workmen found a treasure trove of jewelry and coins trapped in between cushions
Founded in 1893 as a bistro by Maxime Gaillard who was a former waiter
Grew and became the most famous and fashionable restaurant and later sold to an

Arabian
The owner always ensured it is filled with beautiful women it was later sold and the new

owner started selecting clients who were rich and famous

Eglise de la Madeleine
Paris 7

Madeleine Churchis a Roman Catholic Church with a commanding position in the 8th

arrondissement of Paris.

The church was designed as a temple in honor of Napoleons army at its initial stages the

building was suggested to be a Railway station but finally ended up being a church

It initially belonged to the Bishop of Paris from the time of Philip II of France and today

it is a parish of the Archdiocese of Paris

The Catholic Church later decided to dedicate the church to Mary Magdalene

immediately after the fall of Napoleon

Masses are celebrated daily as weddings and funerals are also celebrated here

Palais Garnier (Opera House)

Built from 1861 to 1875 for the Paris Opera, because of the location, it was called Salle

des Capucines then later to Palais Garnier in honor of Charles Garnier


It is the most famous opera house worldwide
Among the most expensive buildings in Paris and with unquestionable master piece of

the first rank


It houses the Paris Opera Library-Museum
The building is of exceptional opulence as it displays the deities of Greek mythology

Rue de Rivoli

One of the popular and longest streets in Paris


It starts from the Metro station and goes past the Hotel de Ville
The shops along the streets have fashionable names in the world
It marked the transitional compromise between the forms of modern town planning and

urbanism of prestige monuments and Aristocratic squares


Since the middle age, houses are still standing
Paris 8

Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel

Triumphal arch in Paris situated at Place du Carrousel


Was built between 1806 and 1808 in honor of Napoleons military victory
The monument is 63 feet high, 23 feet deep and 75 feet wide
Surrounded by eight Corinthian marble columns
The diplomatic military victories were commemorated by bas-rel

Pyramid (Louvre entrance)

It is the largest metal and glass pyramid designed by American Chinese architect
It is surrounded by three other smaller pyramids while the main one is courtyard
The large pyramid is used as the main way in to the Louvre Museum
Its construction was completed in 1989
It is the land mark of Paris

Institute de France

This is a French learning institution


Group of five academies with almost 1,000 foundations, chateaux and museums open to

the public
Its academic institutions award prizes recommended by the academies
In 1882, the Royal Society of London and The Royal Society of Canada were initiated in

a model of the Institute de France

Hotel des Monnaires

Old building of the 18th century, linked to Italian traditional palazzo


Accommodated Monnaie de Paris since it was constructed
The architectural work was done by Jacques Denis Antoine between 1733 and 1801
Its first stone was laid by abbe Terray on in 1770 and by 1773 both exterior and interior

were done with


It is unique because of its decoration and heavy external rustication

Ille de la Cite

One of the only two natural islands existing in Seine, Paris


Located at the centre of Paris where the medieval city was refounded
Paris 9

The land between the islands was used for commercial and residential purposes but is

currently used by Htel-Dieu, Prefecture de Police, hospital and Palais de Justice,


The extreme western and eastern parts of the islands are the only residential places
On the upriver of the Island, there is the Memorial des Martyrs de la Deportation for

those people who were deported from Vichy to Nazi during the Second World War.

Conciergerie

A fabulous Gothic palace during the time of King Philip the Fair,
Initially it was meant for a Royal residence then later turned to a Palace of Justice
The king left this place in the 14th century and settled in the Louvre and in Vincennes
As it was used as a judicial palace, some part of it were used as prison cells during the

French Revolution
During the French revolution, it was one of the detention place and the most prisoner was

Marie-Antoinette

Hotel de Ville

The Htel de Ville houses the local administration.


Located at the place de l'Htel-de-Ville in the 4th arrondissement,
Used as the municipalitys headquarters of Paris from 1357.
It is a multi-purpose as it is used by the Mayor of Paris and the local administration it is

also used as a reception venue


Its construction lasted 19 years, 1873 to 1892; the construction was headed by architects

who won the tender in a public competition

Isle St. Louis

Located at the 4th arrondissement - Paris, with a population of 4,453

One of the two natural islands in Seine River, Paris

It is connected to Paris through four bridges at the banks of the river


Was formerly used for stocking wood and grazing cattle
Paris 10

This island was formerly used for the grazing of market cattle and stocking wood.

The River Seine

Stretches for approximately 777 kilometers long


Used for commercial purposes in Paris Basin, and in 21st century, used for water polo,

swimming, and rowing


It is the third longest river in France; it is the hub of Paris and France
It empties the waters into the English channels
500,000 years ago the Neanderthal stone were discovered

Jardin des Plantes

French word meaning a garden of plants,


It was discovered in 1795 by Bernardin de Saint-Pierre, it maintains a school that trains

botanists
One of the major botanical garden in Paris, France and a department of Musum national

d'histoire naturelle
Located at 5me arrondissement, Paris, and covers 28 hectares
Its galleries include the four galleries of the Museums which are; the Paleontology, the

Mineralogy, the Entomology and the Paleontology Museum, the gardens inside are small

zoo

Pont dAusterlitz

The name was derived from the battle of Austerlitz that happened in 1805
It is a bridge crossing Seine River in Paris
It was constructed to link Faubourg Saint-Antoine and the Jardin des Plantes
Its initial construction was described as dangerous
In 1954 it got reconstructed and got raised to 18metres

Menagerie
Paris 11

The menagerie, was first used in management of domestic stock and later used in

reference to royal animal or aristocratic collections


Means a collection of captive animals, mostly exotic and are for display
It was situated within a garden and it was connected to royal court
The aristocrats wanted to show wealth and power, due to the presence of exotic animals

that were active and alive, and were expensive to maintain

Several sovereigns maintained menageries across Europe in their royal courts

Sorbonne University

It is also known as Paris IV


The university was established in 1970
It offered Languages and Humanities faculties
It enrolled over 24,000 students in 20 department
It also accommodates prestigious journalism and communication schools in France

St. Genevive (Statue)

According to the Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic traditions, he is the patron of the

saints
She is honored on 3rd January
Born and raised up in Nanterre, she was later taken to Paris after encountering Lupus of

Troyes and Germanus of Auxerre thereafter dedicated herself to a Christian life


She once led marathon prayers to save Paris by changing Attilas Huns away from Paris
She got a promotion by Clotilde who commissioned the writing of her vita

Notre Dame

It is a French word meaning our lady of Paris,


It is also known as the Notre Dame of Cathedral
The denomination is Catholic and it is always active
It is locate in Parvis Notre Dame France
Notre-Dame agonized violation in radical stage of the French Revolution and this was by

1990s in which devastation of its religious images happens


By 1991, the project of additional preservation and renovation began
Paris 12

Bishop of Paris by the name Maurice de Sully, commands the original cathedral

destroyed by 1160 and by 1163 construction of Notre-Dame


Notre Dameamongst the seventy churches in Paris was built earlier that year that are

maintained by French State and this was in the law of 1905


The unity of students and teachers operating at Notre-Dame changes in 1200 into the

University of Paris
Notre-Dame was a place of both admiration and traditional libraries and a place of

promises

Statue of Charlemagne

This state was named after the son of king Pepin the Short and Bertrada of Laoni
It is located infront of ParisNotre Dame Cathedral
The statuettealso denoted as the "statuette of Charlemagne was discovered by

Alexandreand it was in bronze that depict both Charlemagne or his grandson Charles the

Bald
The statuette was of three parts, that is, the riders body with saddle, the horse, and the

riders head
From 16thcentury, the invention of Metz cathedral on two lists of statuettesof

Charlemagne; one of gilded silver, made by the Metz silversmith Franois in 1507, and

1967 for the other of bronze first inventoried

Place Saint Michel

This is a public square found in the Latin Quarter


It was enlarged as part of Baron Haussmanns restructures of Paris so as to create a

proper bridgehead for a new wider Pont Saint-Michael


From its location one is able to view the Ile de la Cite monuments including the Palais de

Justice and the Sainte-Chapelle.


This place is also known by the name of Fontaine Saint-Michel which was constructed in

1855-1860.
Paris 13

The central monument was to depict Napoleon Bonaparte but due to criticism the image

was changed to that of Saint Michael

Latin Quarter

Situated along the left bank of the Seine,

Mostly known for the lively atmosphere, student life and bistro

It is famous because it is a home to many higher education establishments apart from the

Universities

The name was derived from the Latin language

For some years down the line, Latin was the main language mostly spoken in the learning

institutions

Sainte-Chapelle

The Sainte-Chapelle also known as the Holy Chapel was designated and has been a

historic monument since 1862

It was started shortly after 1238, it has an outstanding feature of great stained glass

windows

During the Rayonnant period the Sainte-Chapelle was considered to be the highest

achievement period of Gothic architecture


Paris 14

The Sainte-Chapelle is one of the oldest buildings of the Capetian royal place, it got

damaged during the revolution war and got restored in 19th century

Sainte-Chapelle played an important role as it served an important role both cultural and

political ambitions to King Louis

Palais du Justice

The name suggests a place of justice, formerly known as the Palais de la Cit, it is located

at the Boulevard du Palais in central Paris, France


It is one of the oldest buildings of former Royal palace built in 1240
After the French Revolution, the building got reconstructed by architects Honor Daumet

and Joseph-Louis Duc between 1857 and 1868


Later opened in 1868 with some fanfare
The exterior works involved sculptural decoration done by Jean Marie

Pont Neuf

A French word meaning New Bridge


It is the oldest bridge standing across the river Seine of Paris
It was named to differentiate it from the older bridges that got linked with houses from

both sides
During its construction, Henry III laid the first stone in 1578
In 1579 further designers were made changing the number of arches from eight and four

to seven and five

Statue of Henri of Navarre

Henry IV was also known as "Good King Henry" lived from 1553 to 1610

He ruled from 1572 to 1610, his popularity increased after his death

He became the first French monarch; he was baptized and raised up as a protestant
Paris 15

He inherited the throne from the mother who was of queen Navarre

Henry escaped assassination when he got involved in the French Wars of Religion

Ponte des Arts

Pedestrian bridge across river Siene


Bridges the central square of the Palais du Louvre and the Institute de France
Was under reign of Napoleon I in 1802 and 1804 when a nine arch metallic bridge was

constructed for pedestrians,


The first metal bridge in Paris, in 1975 it was listed among the historic monuments
The current bridge was built around 1981 and 1984 which sometimes is used for

exhibitions

Muse dOrsay

It is a museum located on the left back of Seine


Founder in the former Gare d'Orsay arts railways station
Was built in 1898 and 1900, it holds a lot of French arts ranging from 1848 to

1914
Exhibitions found in include furniture, paintings, photography and sculptures
Both collections of post-impressionist and impressionist masterpieces are

found here, they include; Czanne,Monet, Degas, Renoir, Sisley, Seurat,

Manet, and Gauguin

Jardin des Tuileries

The Tuileries Gardens get their name from the tile factories which previously stood on the site
where Queen Catherine de Medici built the Palais des Tuileries in 1564. The famous gardener of
King Louis XIV, Andr Le Ntre, re-landscaped the gardens in 1664 to give them their current
French formal garden style. The gardens, which separate the Louvre from the Place de la
Concorde, are a cultural walking place for Parisians and tourists where Maillol statues stand
alongside those of Rodin or Giacometti. The gardens two ponds are perfect for relaxation. The
Muse de lOrangerie, where visitors can admire the works of Monet, is located south-west of
Tuileries. From March to December, free tours in French are organized. For lovers of candyfloss,
rides and thrills, go to the Fte des Tuileries from June to August.

Centres d'intérêt liés