Vous êtes sur la page 1sur 2

In the early part of the 1800s the Evangelical movement was gaining

momentum. An Evangelical Class was established in the vicinity of what is now


Leader Heights by the year 1860. Originally known as the Conway Class, the
congregation probably met in a one room school house which was located near
the spot where the current Church building is situated.

The congregation erected its first church building in 1869 at the corner of Dew
Drop and Pine Grove Roads and became known as Pine Grove Evangelical
Church. At this time, Pine Grove also began a 100-year association with the
Loganville Charge that included the churches of Mt. Zion (Potosi), Jacobus
(Paradise), Loganville and Pine Grove. During the 1880s two small additions
were made to the church building, an altar at one end and a combination bell
tower and vestibule at the other. Church and Sunday School membership at
that time was approximately 95.

Near the end of the first decade of the 1900s, the church obtained a bell.
According to local customs, church bells called people to worship and also
tolled to share and memorialize the loss of a loved one. Pine Grove, like other
community churches, tolled its bell for everyone in the neighborhood, not just
members of the congregation. Before the 1920s the church excavated a small
basement in order to install a furnace. During the winter months the building
had previously been headed by three small stoves located in the sanctuary.
Even though the congregations size was limited in this era, Pine Grove
managed to assemble a church choir and orchestra.
From the 1920s though 1960s, Pine Grove followed the movement of the general
church. First, as a United Evangelical Church in 1922, then in 1946, Pine Gove
became a part of the Evangelical United Brethren Church. Finally, in 1968, Pine
Grove United Methodist Church was the result of a merger between the E.U.B.
and the Methodist traditions.
It was during the latter part of this most recent period that Pine Grove
experienced some internal changes as well. As the small country church found
itself in the middle of the local movement to the suburbs in the 1960s and 70s.
the cramped quarters of the original building made a new structure a necessity. A
combination Educational Unit and Sanctuary was constructed in 1963, on land
obtained from Aaron Hess, a member of the congregation. The cornerstone was
laid on July 21, 1963.
In 1966 Pine Grove left the Loganville Charge, as Rev. Leon Desenberg assumed a
part-time pastorate. He served until his death in 1975, when the Rev. Miller
Schmuck began his tenure as pastor. During this time a new sanctuary was
constructed completing the plans conceived in the 1950s and early 60s. The
cornerstone was laid on March 14, 1976.
For the first time a full time pastor was appointed to serve the congregation
beginning July 1, 1981. In 1984, a parsonage was purchased for the pastor and
family at 80 Dew Drop Court.
On Sunday, December 11, 1994, a Service of Note-Burning and Dedication was
held for both the sanctuary and parsonage. On December 14, 2001, a new
Christian Education facility was completed. The project consisted of an expanded
narthex, nursery and prayer room, kitchen, multi-purpose room, church office,
pastors study and six classrooms. On Sunday, September 9, 2007, the annex
addition to the sanctuary was consecrated to the Lords service. In November of
2010 we added a video-sound system. We continue to glorify God for all the
blessing he has offered.
We believe that God will use us to write the next chapter in the Pine Grove story
as we continue with our vision to Know Jesus and Make Him Known and to share
that with our community and throughout the world!

(Written by David Miller)