Vous êtes sur la page 1sur 45

International Programs & Services

“It is always difficult to begin a new life in a new place with a different culture and language,
but don’t worry; here in SIU, there are a lot of people who are more than happy to help you
adapt to this new environment. Don’t be afraid to ask questions or be yourself. The
international and American community of Carbondale will be more than happy to answer all of
your questions and welcome you as you are. Little by little, Carbondale and its people will
grow in your heart, as it did in mine...so relax and enjoy the ride!”

Alejandra Angel (Colombia)

Architecture 2008

SIUC is one of the leading international campuses in the United States, providing outstanding
educational opportunities to students from around the globe since 1946. To enhance your
educational experience, the staff of International Programs and Services is delighted to offer
an updated and expanded version of the popular International Student Handbook. Much of
its content will be especially meaningful and beneficial to new arrivals on campus. However,
we hope that you will find the handbook helpful throughout the duration of your studies in
Carbondale. Read it often, as it is a valuable resource outlining the myriad of services
available to you within the campus and throughout the community.

International Programs and Services

Table of Contents

Welcome to Southern Illinois University Carbondale 1

International Programs & Services 3

International Students & Scholars 4

Immigration & Legal Services 9

Employment, Income Taxes and Career Services 11

Financial Assistance 15

Registration Procedures 17

Admission to Graduate School 19

Student Identification & Protection of Privacy 20

Study & Research Facilities 22

Health Services 23

Housing 26

Transportation & Parking 30

Campus Activities & Shopping 32

Recreation & Sightseeing 34

Global Carbondale 36

Cultural Adjustment 37

Directory 40


International Programs and Services (IPS) coordinates SIUC international activities worldwide. As part of
a strategic effort to internationalize the university and to achieve the critical objective of international
prominence, IPS provides leadership in expanding the international dimension of the university.
Internationalization is a task shared by academic and support units across campus and with institutional
A Rich Tradition . . . and governmental partners throughout the world. In addition to services and programs for International
Southern Illinois University Students and Scholars (ISS), Study Abroad Programs and International Development are the three
Carbondale (SIUC) has a distinctive areas of international activity incorporated by IPS.
distinguished record of
international education International Students & Scholars (ISS) coordinates all programs and activities for international students
from the enrollment of its and scholars at SIUC. The Office of International Development maintains linkage agreements between
first international student in SIUC and over 100 overseas institutions and serves as the administrative office for senior Fulbright
1946 to the operation of an visitors to the campus. It can also cooperate with faculty to develop and manage externally funded
overseas campus in Japan international focus or overseas grants and projects involving SIUC with educational institutions
(1988-2006). SIUC serves as throughout the world. Finally, it coordinates international student recruitment activities. Study Abroad
home to over 1,500 Programs provides international study opportunities through semester or year-abroad programs, short-
international students from term travel/study programs in the summer and educational exchanges. These include coordination of
more than 100 countries. semester programs, the International Student Exchange Program (ISEP) and the Utrecht Network which
The university also hosts is a consortium of 22 European universities offering direct enrollment to students studying in the United
more than 200 international States. A number of direct student exchanges between SIUC and overseas schools are coordinated
faculty, researchers, and either by the sponsoring academic department or by Study Abroad Programs. Study Abroad Programs is
scholars each year. also the local issuing office for the International Student ID Card and International Youth Hostel cards.


It is the mission of ISS to provide for the educational, professional, social, cultural, and personal needs of
international students and scholars, from pre-arrival correspondence to postgraduate concerns. ISS
recognizes its responsibility to increase international and multicultural understanding and to serve as the
Serving International primary SIUC advocate, liaison, and resource center for international students and scholars through the
Students . . . following services:

Southern Illinois University • Providing information and instruction regarding immigration regulations
Carbondale (SIUC)
provides the specialized • Recognizing outstanding scholarship through financial awards
services of International • Assisting smooth transitions through personal support services
Students and Scholars (ISS)
for all students whose • Creating a positive environment to promote students’ success
educational and social • Offering programs to showcase individual cultures
environments originated
outside of the United •Serving as a campus and community resource on international affairs, including women and
States. Students who have
international development
different individual,
cultural, and educational
experiences require Orientation
special attention in order
to obtain the maximum Orientation prepares new students for many aspects of life in the United States, in Carbondale, and at SIUC.
benefit from their During orientation week, we will provide valuable information in many different topics. For more details
education at SIUC. The ISS please visit http://ips.siu.edu/iss/orientation.html.
staff welcomes you to SIUC
and want you to know that ISS staff is happy to assist you in all matters related to immigration, employment, financial aid, admissions,
the major role of ISS is to and community outreach and volunteer activities. ISS advisors can also assist with problems and concerns
aid you in your adjustment related to academic and social life both on campus and off campus. For an updated list of IPS/ISS staff visit
to the Carbondale campus our website at www.ips.siu.edu.
and community.

ISS services which do not require an appointment
• I-20 signature for travel (plan ahead, come in at least two weeks prior to your trip)
• Program extension
• Transfers from SIUC
• Certificates of Enrollment
• Tuition and Fee Certificates
• Bank draft/check certifications
Q&A • Student worker referral forms and visa verification
• Graduate assistant visa verification forms
Q: When do I need an • Invitation letters for visitor visas
appointment to visit ISS? • Financial clearance
• Community Programs registration
A: While it is possible to
accomplish many different ISS services which do require an appointment
services by walking into ISS
during regular office hours • Optional & Curricular Practical Training authorizations
(8-12 a.m. and 1-4:30 • Reinstatement to student status
p.m.), many of our services • Cancellation, Pre-payment Waivers and Suppression Contracts
require the scheduling of • Short-term loans
an appointment. • Off-campus employment authorization
Professional full-time staff • Dependent insurance deposits and refunds
members are often out of • Special Programs and Women & International Development services
the office, away at •Advice on personal and confidential matters
m e et i n g s a r o u n d t he
campus and community. ISS Contact Information
Therefore, to guarantee
that staff will be available Please feel free to contact ISS with any questions or concerns .
to meet with you, an
appointment is advisable Address: Southern Illinois University Carbondale
in many situations. 860 Lincoln Drive North West Annex B Wing, Room 117
Carbondale, IL 62901-6514
Phone: 618-453-5774
Email Address: oiss@siu.edu
Office Hours: 8:00 am – 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday
Web page: http://www.ips.siu.edu/

Women & International Development (WID)

Women & International Development (WID) is coordinated by the Office of International Students
& Scholars to:

Other ISS Services…

• Strengthen professional interaction among faculty, staff, and students who are interested in
In addition to its role of issues of gender in international development.
clarifying and facilitating the
• Promote WID activities on campus through special events, scholarships, and support to the
educational, immigration
and employment needs of WID registered student organization.
international students, ISS
• Create a pool of resource persons who can be involved in developing grants and projects that
offers a series of programs
and services especially include WID components.
geared to international
• Serve as a source of information on WID publications, research, projects, and activities.
stu d e nts an d scho lars.
These include educational
and cultural trips, sports WID maintains a library of books, journals, and materials related to women in development. SIUC
events, Women & students are free to use this library.
International Development
activities, the international Each year WID offers two $150 awards for student papers written on topics related to women and
Forum Series and a host of international development. For more information, contact ISS WID coordinator. WID also
outreach and volunteer collaborates with relevant academic departments to offer gender-specific courses and short-term
a c t i v i t i e s . study abroad programs.

For more information, contact Naseem Ahmed at naseem@siu.edu or go to


Community Programs

The International Friends Club (IFC), a large group of U.S. campus and community volunteers, offers a variety
of programs for international students and their families. If you are interested in any of the following
programs, contact the ISS community programs coordinator, Elaine Conrad at econrad@siu.edu or go to

• Hospitality: U.S. families invite international students for monthly social activities and cultural exchange.
• English in Action: International students register to practice English conversation every week with U.S.
• Speakers Bureau: International students visit local community groups to tell about their cultures.
• In Gear Program: International students volunteer to share their cultures in schools throughout the region.

“Working at IPS has • International Wives Friendship: International wives enjoy weekly activities planned by U.S. women.
given me the opportunity • International Spouses Group: International wives and U.S. leaders plan social and educational activities
to meet students from
many other countries. together.
They have taught me • Loan Closet: Household items and winter coats are available for SIUC international students and visitors to
numerous things about
themselves as well as borrow.
their cultures and I • Emergency Response Team: A group of professionals who offer legal, medical, insurance, spiritual, and
cherish the relationships
I have built with counseling support to international students and their families in emergency situations.
everyone.” • An International Dialogue on Faith: A Woman’s Perspective: International women present a panel discussion
on world religions followed by a roundtable discussion with the audience.
Jordan Wren (USA)
Speech Communications • Mother Care: Friendship teams of several women are created to offer support and encouragement to
pregnant international wives.

IFC Grants and Special Events

• Inga Sollberger Grant: A $500 annual award is offered to help an international student or
family member pay catastrophic medical bills.
• Mary Wakeland Scholarship: A $500 scholarship is awarded annually to an outstanding
international student volunteer.
• Newcomers Party: A fall party welcomes new international students and allows IFC
“I like the diversity at SIUC
and the attention given to volunteers to meet them and help them get acquainted with SIUC and Carbondale.
international students. So far
I like everything about SIUC, • An American Christmas: The annual party introduces international students and their
it’s hard for me to say which I
families to traditional American customs.
like the most…Starting from
the beginning is not easy but • International Coffee Hour: A weekly café offers socializing and refreshments. This little
the people I’ve met here at
SIUC have made things fun café is open to the public at the IPS office on Fridays from 3:00 – 5:00 p.m. when classes are
and easy for me. Africa week
in session.
was my most exciting time
here cause it really made me • International Potluck: Internationals and Americans bring dishes from their countries to
feel like I was home and I am
proud to be an African… share at this informal dinner. Recipes are collected and used to create a cookbook for those
Studying in a foreign country
is fun and it will be a story for
my future grandchildren.”

Ahmed Momoh (Nigeria)

Electrical Engineering


The office of International Students & Scholars (ISS) is the liaison with the United States Citizenship and
Immigration Services. The staff provides assistance to international students at Southern Illinois University
Carbondale to insure their understanding of a variety of immigration matters (visa document questions,
program extensions, work authorizations, and invitation letters to bring family members to the U.S.)

The following are the USCIS regulations affecting international students on F and J visas. It is vital that you
read and understand all the regulations. It is your responsibility to follow them and to be aware of any
changes which occur during your studies. Please refer to our web page for updates in regulations.

International students must:

• Maintain a full course of study.

• All undergraduates must maintain twelve (12) credit hours every fall and spring semester and six (6)
credit hours during summer semester.

Q&A • All graduate and doctoral students who do not hold an assistantship must maintain nine (9) credit hours
each fall and spring semester. If a graduate student holds an assistantship, they must maintain eight (8)
Q: How can I extend my I-20?
credit hours each fall and spring semester unless the department requires more than eight (8) hours or
A: Talk to the ISS staff for
unless they are a doctoral student admitted to candidacy, which only requires six (6) credit hours.
further information regarding
the extension of your I-20.
• All graduate students who have completed all course work, but still need to complete their thesis or
Q: How do I get my Social dissertation must be enrolled in a minimum of one (1) credit hour each fall and spring semester.
Security Number?
• Students who enter the United States for the first time for the summer term must be enrolled full-time
A: Take your paycheck,
passport, I-20 and social for that summer term only.
security letter from ISS to the
Social Security Office. Fill out • Graduate students must maintain three (3) credit hours for summer
the application form to obtain
a SSN. • Complete the course of study by the date posted on the I-20.(line 5)

• The I-20 has an expiration date established by the time necessary to complete a degree.

•The I-20 expires on that date or when the student completes the course of study, whichever comes first.
•Report to ISS any time a new I-20 is issued.
•A new I-20 may be issued for any number of reasons including but not limited to change of academic
program, change of academic level (for example Bachelor’s to Master’s, Master’s to Doctorate) or a
second degree at the same level. In each case ISS, must report the changes to the USCIS.
•Limit campus employment to a maximum of twenty (20) hours per week while school is in session.
•DO NOT work off campus without authorization.
•Apply for practical training 90 days before completing the academic program.
•Depart the United States within sixty (60) days of completing the academic program.
•Have a valid passport the entire time they are in the United States.
•Report to IPS when you intend to leave SIUC and transfer to another university.
•Secure a signature for travel outside the United States from an Advisor at IPS.
•Report your local Carbondale address within ten (10) days of the time that you establish your residence,
Q: Wh a t s h o u l d I d o i f I including all future changes of address. All students must report to ISS North West Annex B-119 to report
want to visit my home
country during break? their address change.
•Report change of student’s or dependents legal name.
A: Go to ISS. Get a
Signature for Travel form, •Report to IPS when you intend to leave SIUC and transfer to another university.
do the appropriate paper
work and give it to your
Visit our website at www.ips.siu.edu for current and updated information on immigration regulations.
advisor to complete it.
Then bring it, along with
your I-20, to ISS to get our
signature on the 3rd page
of your I-20.

Employment opportunities for international students are limited by USCIS regulations and are available only to
students who have maintained their immigration status and academic standing.

General Information on Employment

Employment is defined as the rendering of services on either a part-time or a full-time basis for compensation,
financial or otherwise, including self employment. If you receive no pay or other benefits for work performed,
this activity is not defined as “employment” but is considered to be “volunteer work.”

An F-1 student may accept employment or engage in business only under certain conditions and approval.
There are several different categories of employment: on-campus, off-campus, curricular practical training, and
optional practical training. Each of these options, except on-campus, requires a student to have completed nine
consecutive months of class work as an F-1 student to be eligible. For any off-campus work, you must have
permission from ISS/USCIS before you accept any job.

*Please note: The employment possibilities listed in this handbook only apply if a student has maintained lawful
status, is in good standing at SIUC, meets all the USCIS requirements, and has otherwise not jeopardized his/her
eligibility for employment.

On-Campus Employment
Q&A Information about on-campus student worker employment opportunities is available at the Financial Aid Office
of SIU. You may work no more than 20 hours per week while school is in session. Full time work is allowed
Q: How can I apply for an during break. Please report to ISS to finalize your paperwork for on-campus employment. For more information
Internship or Co-op Program? on latest job postings visit http://www.siuc.edu/~fao/jobs/ethjob.htm.

Graduate Assistant Positions

A: You can submit your Graduate assistant positions (teaching/research assistants) are granted by departments to allow students to
resume at the Career Fair have real work experience while pursuing their course of study. These positions are also limited to 20 hours
held each semester, or apply per week while school is in session, but full time employment is allowed during break. It is possible for a 20
for internships online. Obtain hour (50%) G.A. to obtain an additional student worker job, totaling 37.5 hours, during each break while
signature from your academic school is not in session.
advisor on the CPT form once
you get an internship Off-Campus Employment
position. There are few off-campus work options other than Practical Training. To be eligible to work off-campus, a
student must have been enrolled for one academic year. Please contact ISS for further information.
You are reminded that you should have come to the United States financially stable. Obtaining off-campus
employment during the school year can be difficult and may interfere with your studies.

Practical Training
You may be eligible for Practical Training (PT) in your current field of study, both before and after
completion of your degree. There are currently two types of PT: Curricular and Optional Practical Training.
You must apply for practical training prior to the end of your academic program. Plan to visit ISS at least 3
months before you will complete your program to submit your application.

Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) must be an required part of your curriculum, such as a required
internship or practicum offered through your academic program. Students may be eligible to begin CPT
immediately upon beginning classes at SIUC if required by their program; otherwise you must have
completed the equivalent of nine months in full-time F-1 student before you are eligible for CPT. The work
must be part time during the school year and may be full-time during SIU annual breaks. The time granted
in CPT is not deducted from your 12 months of OPT unless you have maintained CPT full-time for twelve

Optional Practical Training

Optional Practical Training is provided for students to obtain work experience in their field of study. A
student is eligible for 12 months of Optional Practical Training (OPT) under the following circumstances:
Q&A •During the annual vacation and other times school is not in session
Q: Can I work for an •During the school year, provided employment does not exceed 20 hours per week.
employer? If so, how can I •When all course requirements are completed excluding the thesis or its equivalent, or
start employment?
• When the student has completed the course of study.
A: You can work on-campus Certain graduates from science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) programs who are
only. After you have found a currently participating in post-completion OPT for a period of 12 months, are eligible to apply for a one-
job, take your passport and I- time 17-month extension prior to the end date of their current OPT. This extension, if approved, allows F-1
20 to ISS to obtain a Work visa holders to engage in post-completion OPT for a maximum of 29 months
Referral and Visa Verification
then submit them to the Employment For J-1 Students
International Tax Specialist to J-1 students, like F-1 students, are permitted to work on-campus part-time while school is in session. Off-
start your job. campus employment is permitted in cases of unforeseen economic need. In order to undertake
employment, students must be in good academic standing and must maintain a full academic course load.
Employment for no more than 20 hours per week must be approved by ISS and can be valid for up to 12
months. Students can work full-time during SIU official breaks.

12 14
Academic Training for J-1 students
J-1 students may participate in practical training in a specified field of study without compensation at any time
during their studies, with the approval of the academic advisor and ISS. Compensated practical training must
be related to the current field of study and one must be in good academic and immigration standing. There is
an 18-month maximum allowance for PT. Contact ISS for further details on how to apply.

Employment of Dependents (F-2 & J-2 Visa Holders)

Individuals holding an F-2 visa may not accept employment or engage in business under any circumstances.
F-1 students should realize this when considering inviting their family members to stay with them. Although
being away from your family can be devastating and lonely, you must weigh the risks financially and
academically before having your family apply for dependent visas. J-2 visa holders may apply to the district
office of USCIS for permission to accept employment. An explanation of the application procedure may be
obtained at ISS.

Income Taxes
All F, J, and M visa holders who are non-resident aliens for tax purposes must file income tax forms even if
they have no U.S. income or if all income is excludable. Those who have wages subject to U.S. withholding
Q&A must file by April 15 each year. Those with no wages subject to U.S. withholding must file by June 15.
Q: How do I file my Income Federal state taxes normally should be withheld from wages. However, the United States may have a tax
Tax returns treaty with your country, which overrides this deduction. Refer to IRS Publication 901 on Tax Treaties for more
information. If you graduate and depart after working part of the year you must notify your employer with a
A: Collect your Pin number at forwarding address in order to receive your forms to file your taxes. For more information, please call the
ISS. Complete the required International Tax Office at 453-5275.
forms online, print , and mail
a copy of them along with
Student ID Number and Social Security Number (SSN)
your W-2 Form to the
The number issued to you by SIUC, which has 850 prefix, is not a Social Security Number for employment
appropriate address .
purposes. Please contact ISS for more information and instruction on how to apply for your social security
card, the final step in your employment authorization.


Looking for an internship or a full-time job?

SIUC Career Services is a comprehensive career planning and employment services agency dedicated to
preparing students and alumni to successfully market themselves to potential employers.

Saluki Job Bank provides job listings, resume databases and on-campus recruiting services to the students and
alumni of Southern Illinois University Carbondale. Apply for an internship or full-time student by online
registration with Career Services website using your SIUC webmail.

Career Services is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., and is located in Woody Hall B204. For
further information regarding services and making an appointment with professional staff call 618-453-2391 or
453-2392 or visit the Career Services website at http://careerservices.siuc.edu/.

“I’ve been at SIU for a year already. I’ve met my best friends here!
Yes, sometimes it does feel lonely and weird to be away from home
but when you feel that just don’t be alone! As I always say…places
are about people you meet there!

Olesya Kravchule (Ukraine)

Mass Communication & Media Arts


Student Employment Hiring Process

•Obtain Student Employment Referral and visa verification form from International Students
Scholars office.
•Interview with campus departments.
•The employing department will complete Section 3 of the Student Employment Referral and an
I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification) Form. You will need your immigration document
including: passport, visa, I-94, I-20 or IAP66, student ID and/or driver’s license.
•Take completed Student Employment Referral and I-9 Form to the Non-Resident Alien Tax
Specialist (Miles Hall, 108 Greek Row) to complete the hiring process. Obtain orange
supplemental payroll time card to take to your new employer.
Note: F-1 students are allowed to work on campus up to 20 hours per week during school session and
37.5 hours per week when school is not in session.

Assistantships and Fellowships

Graduate assistantships are limited in number and graduate students should apply directly to the
academic departments or administrative units. A graduate assistantship provides tuition waiver and
monthly stipend in return for teaching, research, or other services. It does not cover fees, which the
student must pay.

Q&A Available graduate assistantships are listed at:

http: //www.gradschool.siuc.edu/gaposting.htm
Q: How can I open a bank
account? Available undergraduate assistantships are listed at:
A: Take your I-20 and
passport along with you to the Fellowships do not require that student recipient works and are usually given to the most academically
bank to open an account. talented applicants. These awards are usually determined in the spring for the following fall semester,
so applications should be submitted early.

You are eligible to work in an internship or a co-op program after 9 months of legal stay in the United
States. Contact ISS or your respective department for more information.

A limited number of tuition awards are available to international students at SIUC. These awards are
granted on a competitive basis, and the limited number means that many qualified students are unable to
secure them. Applications can be found on the ISS website and guidelines/deadlines are available each
spring at ISS

International Student-to-Student Grants

Undergraduate international students who have completed at least one semester at SIU may be eligible for
the STS Grant. Funds for the awards are collected from all undergraduate international students through a
small fee they pay each semester. Grants of between $100 and $300 are made to students who
demonstrate financial need. Applications are available on line and the guidelines/deadlines are posted at
the beginning of each semester. Unlike the tuition award, the STS Grant is awarded on the basis of financial
need, not scholarship. However, applicants must have a minimum 2.0 GPA, and must have paid the fee and
be attending classes for the semester in which they apply. More information on financial assistance from
IPS can be found at http://www.ips.siu.edu/ISS/financialAssistance.htm.

“Carbondale is a place Scholarships

where you can find your Scholarships are awarded on the basis of merit rather than need. Information on scholarships is posted at:
direction in life. The http://fao.siu.edu/scholarships/sch_search.php.
memories you make here will
forever change your life.” Short-term Loans
The Financial Aid Office at SIUC administers a limited amount of money for short-term loans. The size and
Omar Trinidad (USA) nature of these loans make them unsuitable for payment of large debts such as tuition or rent. They are
Workforce Education 2008 intended only to provide emergency essentials until the student’s regular funds arrive. Students may talk
with the Financial Aid Advisor at ISS for further information.


Conditions: English Proficiency Requirement

If you are admitted with the condition of being certified by the Center of English as a Second Language (CESL) and
have been notified to take the English test, go to the CESL office in Faner Hall, Room 3242 for further instructions.
The English test will usually be given during the orientation week, i.e. the week before classes begin. If you are a
graduate student with any other contingencies set by the graduate school, go to the graduate school office in
Woody Hall, B-wing, Room 103. For more information go to http://cesl.siuc.edu/.

Payment of Tuition and Fees

If you have been admitted with no conditions and it is past the pre-registration deadline, proceed to the Bursar’s
Office (Woody Hall, B-wing) to make an initial payment of tuition and fees. A receipt will be given to you as
indication of this payment. You will receive a bill monthly from the University indicating payments needed. If you
have a scholarship or sponsor that pays your tuition and fees directly to the university, take your sponsor letter to
Woody Hall, B-wing, Room 360 so that clearance can be made for registration without payment. Graduate
students with graduate assistantships need to make an initial payment of student fees. The tuition portion is paid
for by the assistantship. Graduate Assistants are required to receive a Visa Status Verification Form from ISS.

Payment of tuition and fees can also be done online. Go to http://bursar.siuc.edu/pymt.html.

For more information about your tuition and fees go to http://bursar.siuc.edu/bursarbill.html.

Q&A Advisement and Registration

Go to the academic advising office indicated in your admissions letter. Your academic advisor will assist in
Q: What should I do if I want
selecting appropriate classes and will complete registration for you. A copy of your class schedule with time and
to change my major?
location will be given to you. Graduate students need to go to your department to begin the registration process.
An advisor in your academic department will help you select courses and assist in completing the course request
A: You should notify your
form for registration. The course request form must be taken to the Graduate Registration Desk, Woody Hall, B-
current department and they
wing, Room 104 after the initial payment to the University is made at the Bursar’s office.
will send the appropriate
Official transcript of your final grades can be obtained from the university for a nominal fee per copy.
documentation to your new

Self Registration
Go to “View an online tutorial” at https://salukinet.siu.edu to understand the step by step self registration
process. You will need your network ID and password to log into the Salukinet. Make sure you have your RUN
(Register User Number) before you sit down to register. You can get your RUN from your advisor.
For more information go to http://registrar.siu.edu/.

Student ID Card
Obtain your SIUC Student Identification Card at the Student Center ID Card Office on the second
floor of the Student Center. The Student ID card is used for identification, admittance to Campus
buildings and programs, discounts at various stores and it permits students to check out materials
from the library.

Submission of Local Address

Please keep your local address current with International Students and Scholars. You may request
that your address be listed as “private” which means that it will not be published in the directory or
given to anyone without your permission.

Q: How do I apply for

A: At the beginning of
the semester in which
you will graduate, you
should report to
Records & Registration
in Woody Hall.


For information on graduate degree programs available at SIUC, go to the Graduate School Admissions
office in Woody Hall, Wing B, Room 103 and ask for Ms. Lu Lyons.

Lists of degree programs, handouts on Graduate School admission requirements and procedures, and
handouts on financial assistance available to international graduate students are all available there.

Much information is also available in the Graduate School home page at www.siu.edu/gradschl. Click on
“departments” for access to departmental home pages and on “departmental contacts” to get to get e-mail
address through which you may request application materials from departments.

All application materials must be obtained from the department you wish to apply to, and all application
materials returned to that department. You must meet the Graduate School minimum GPA and TOEFL
requirements in order to be eligible to apply to a graduate degree program. All other requirements are
departmental, such as graduate tests required, deadlines for applying, application fees, etc. Please note
that several departments require higher than the Graduate School GPA and TOEFL minimums, and that
some departments have application deadlines as early as December for the following fall. For all questions
“Studying in SIUC has been pertaining to graduate admission at SIUC, please contact Ms. Lu Linda Lyons at:
an eye-opening experience
with both joy and hardship. I Graduate School Admissions
gain tremendous support Woody Hall, Wing B, Room 103
and assistance from many Carbondale, IL-62901
individuals who came before Contact No: 618-453-4512
me and I would encourage Email Address: llyons@siu.edu
those who come after. Seek
out support when needed.”

Qianhui Zhang (China)

Counseling Psychology

Student Identification (ID) Card
Obtain your SIUC Student Identification Card at the Student Center ID Card Office on the second floor of the
Student Center. The student ID card is used for identification, admittance to Campus buildings and programs,
discounts at various stores and it permits students to check out materials from the library. Students must be
registered for the current semester and provide picture identification to receive ID card. New Student ID
Card costs $10, replacements: $15. Charges are applied to the bursar bill. No money is collected in the ID
Card Office.

Social Security Card

You can apply for a Social Security number if you are employed on campus. You will need to take your pay-
stub, a signed Social Security letter from ISS, your passport, I-20, and the application form to the Social
Security Office located in the Federal Building on 250 W. Cherry Street, Carbondale. It takes about two weeks
to receive the card.

Driver’s License
Illinois law allows you to drive with a valid driver’s license from your home country for 90 days. However,
Q&A you should obtain an Illinois driver license as soon as you can. To do so, you will need the following:

Q: How can I get an • Three ID cards showing your birth date (passport)
E-Mail address with
siu.edu as the Domain? • Current address (rental lease with your name and address, bank statement, checkbook, etc.)

• Signature (social security card, state ID, or credit card).

A: Go to the Computer
Learning Center (CLC) You must take a written test, an eye exam, and a road test. Drivers’ booklets explaining driving laws and
to obtain an E-Mail regulations are available at the Illinois State Drivers License Examining Station.
address with siu.edu as
the Domain. State ID card
You can get a State ID card from the Drivers’ License Examining Station and use it instead of your passport for
all identification purposes. Cyber Drive Illinois conducts sessions in Student Center every semester to obtain
State Id and Driver’s license

Protection of Privacy:
Be cautious in giving your social security number, credit card number or bank account numbers
over the phone or on the internet. Please be aware that identity theft is becoming a matter of
great concern and there are increases in scams by people who want to get your personal
information and misuse them. Use a paper shredder to destroy documents and letters with your
personal paper shredder to destroy documents and letters with your personal identification
information. Report lost or stolen ATM or credit cards immediately to the financial institutions
which had issued them.

Here are a few things to remember regarding the security of your money:

• Be careful while using ATMs

• Keep track of your money regularly over the internet

• Keep a record of all payments and deposits you have made to your bank accounts.
Q: How can I access my
personal records over the • Check the bank statement the bank gives you every month
Saluki net?
• Never give your SSN, Credit Card Number, or Bank Account numbers over the phone or
A: Go to
Enter your ID and PIN to • Banks provide lockers to store valuable documents like Passport, SSN, etc.
check your records.


Computer Facilities, Libraries, and Language Labs

Students may be overwhelmed when they arrive in a new environment and find it difficult to keep up with
“What I like most in the classroom demands. Make sure to avail the campus resources that can help you in your study and research,
school is the Morris Library. Talk to your advisor about any problems you are facing with your courses and you may be able to access
I am satisfied with the appropriate tutoring and other services
library system, and I like
sitting on the 6th floor in In addition to computer facilities that are located in rooms 1025 and 1031 Faner Hall, room 9A
front of the window in the Communications Building, and room 21 Rehn Hall and room 112 in the College of Applied Sciences and
library looking out over the Arts, departments may also have their own labs for your use. The SIUC Campus has a large wireless
beautiful campus.” deployment available indoors and outdoors. For more information visit:
Xizhen Du (China)
Forestry 2006 Morris Library, the University’s main library, is the largest open stack library in the U.S. A variety of books,
records, and tapes can be checked out from Carbondale Public Library with a library card. SIUC provides I-
share services to borrow books from 71 Illinois academic libraries. For more information visit:

For many international students, English is one of the obstacles to success in their academic studies.
“SIUC is a good school Students interested in improving English skills can use the lab in the Language Media Center facilities
providing good education located in Faner 1125. ISS also assists in finding English language partners for interested students. For more
system. The professors are information on available resources, visit www.siu.edu/~lmc/lmc.html or contact Instructional Services at
great and open-minded, they (618) 453-5438.
are very different from those
in China. Here, for my major, Blackboard Learning System is an online course management system that gives you the ease of using the
the equipment is in good web to support your instruction. You will have a complete set of tools for course preparation, delivery and
condition and good quality, management. Supplement a face-to-face course with online components including posting grades, or
the school provides good develop a full online course with content materials, online discussions, tests, and lots more.
laboratories with modern
technology.” SIUC Writing Center
The Writing Center offers free tutoring services to all SIUC undergraduate and graduate students and
Jun Yan (China) faculty help students from all departments become better writers through one-to-one work with a tutor.
Electrical Engineering 2009 This tutorial service helps students improve writing skills, gain confidence and improve grades. The Writing
Center locations are in Room 236 Morris Library, Room 2281 Faner Hall and in the lower level of True blood
Hall. Online Writing lab schedules are provided. For more information visit: http://write.siuc.edu/

(Our mission is to build a healthy campus community)

Health insurance is included in your tuition. If you are feeling sick, go to the Student Health Programs
Services with your student ID card. Appointment must be scheduled before visiting. The Central Phone
Number for Student Health Services is 453-3311. Further information about other services and Student
Health Programs can be obtained at their website: http://shc.siuc.edu/

Health Center has front door fees of $6.

8 reasons to visit the Health Center:

1. Receive treatment for illness and injuries.
2. Learn positive strategies to beat college stress.
3. Have your regular female health exam completed.
4. For assessment or rehab of sports or activity injury.
5. Get information about alcohol/drug abuse.
6. Receive expert travel consultation & recommended vaccinations before visiting another country, .
7. Get relief from tooth problems & receive preventive dental care.
8. Reduce your risk for disease by getting immunized.


Proof of immunity is required for Tetanus, Diphtheria, Measles, Mumps, and Rubella. A late compliance fee
will be assessed to students who fail to provide proof of immunity or begin to receive the necessary series of
immunizations by the end of the seventh week of the semester. Failure to comply with immunization
regulations will result in a hold on your future registration.
For more information go to http://shc.siuc.edu/health%20pages/dental.htm.

Using ID card, students can receive H1N1 vaccinations and Flu shots for free on certain days and times.
Please keep checking your email address for updates from the Health Center.

Some of the services offered by Health Services are as follows:

• Student Emergency Dental Service:

It is located in Room 25A, Wing C of the. For an appointment or information call 536-2421.
Information can be obtained at http://sch.siuc.edu/health%20pages/dental.htm.

• Counseling Center:
The Counseling Center is an agency staffed by professional psychologists and counselors trained to
help students ways to cope with the problems in living. You can reach the Counseling Center at
•Women Services:
Women’s Services provide workshops, consultation, short-term individual counseling, etc. The
Women’s Services office is located at B224 Woody Hall, and the phone number is 453-3655.
• Pharmacy:
Q&A Student Health Programs provides an on-campus pharmacy. However, you may choose to go to
several local pharmacies in Carbondale.
Q: What can I do if I am feeling • Wellness Center:
stressed? The Center assists students in making healthy lifestyle choices through confidential consultation, skill
building in sexuality education, stress management, nutrition, and alcohol and other drug education.
A: The Student Health Services For more information go to http://sch.siuc.edu/wellness%20pages/wellness_home.htm.
offers the Stress Management
Program to provide assistance
to students in reducing the
negative effects of stress.
Stress Management services
include counseling, workshops,
pertinent information and
resources, and the Oasis
Relaxation Room. For more
information call 536-4441.

Emergency and After-hours Care

Always go to the SIUC Health Service first if you need a doctor on a school day. For help in
determining if you should seek medical care when the Health Service is closed, call Dial-A-Nurse at

On weekends or evenings, go to the Memorial Hospital Emergency room only for serious illness or
accidents. The Emergency Room is not used to treat ordinary illnesses like a cold or the flu unless the
symptoms are severe (such is a very high fever that doesn’t get better with medication). If you need
hospital care, be sure to tell the admissions officer that your insurance is through SIUC.

If you go to the Emergency Room, be sure to have your follow up care done at the SIUC Health
Service; do not go back to the ER unless the Health Service is closed, and you need immediate
assistance. Otherwise, you will have to pay the entire bill yourself; your student insurance will not
cover visits to the ER when the SIUC Health Service is open.

If you go to the hospital, you will receive a bill every month, because the billing system is
computerized. Do not send money to the hospital until you have received an Explanation of Benefits
(EOB) from the SIUC insurance office. Your bills are also sent to them. They will review the bills and
decide how much will be paid by your insurance and how much you will need to pay. Some things
such as X-rays and other tests are often paid 100% by insurance. Your EOB will indicate how much
you personally will owe the hospital, doctors, etc.

If you have a bill that is too big to pay all at once, call Memorial Hospital billing office (549-0721;
extension 8) immediately to inform them of your difficulty. They will help you arrange a special
payment plan that will be easier to manage. It is important to let them know that you are a
responsible person, and you are trying to pay your part of the bill.

Coverage Expenses and Exclusions

Currently, coverage at Memorial Hospital of Carbondale is at an 80% rate up to $2000. There after
the coverage is 100% up to the policy maximum of $250,000 lifetime benefit. For more information
visit http://shc.siuc.edu/health%20pages/insurance.htm.

For medical clinic appointment from Monday to Friday between 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, call on 536-
2391. Please note that you will be charged if you fail to keep an appointment unless you call 24
hours in advance and cancel it.


There are both on- and off-campus housing options for international students at SIUC.
On-campus housing includes the university residence halls located on the main campus, as well as
university apartments, Carbondale offers many types of rental units including rooms, apartments,
mobile homes, and private dormitories for off-campus living.

On-Campus Housing

Single Undergraduate Student Housing

SIUC has three residential living areas offering a variety of services and conveniences: air conditioning,
cable television, local telephone service, postal service, computer labs with Internet access, and several
dining locations. The standard room and board contract offers nineteen meals per week.

The on-campus residence halls at SIUC are organized into four living areas: Brush Tower, Thompson
“There are lots of wonderful Point, University Park, and University Hall. Each area has a commons building where meals, postal, and
moments I have experienced administrative services are provided. All rooms are furnished with single beds, closet space, chests of
at SIUC. One of them is polar drawers, desks, study chairs, and draperies. Telephone jacks and cable television outlets are provided in
bear swimming in my each room. Personal items, such as bed linens and towels, must be provided by student.
dorm…when we all jumped
into the freezing swimming Special living options are available to meet student needs. University Park is open during all school
pool just to get ourselves breaks for students who prefer not to leave campus. Brush Tower’s Neely Hall is restricted to students
photographed and prove that who are 20 years of age or older. Study floors are also available for students who prefer quiet
we can do it.” surroundings 24 hours a day during weekdays. There are also many other options that are available to
accommodate your personal needs.
Sumant (India)
Electrical Engineering and
Mathematics, 2010 University Apartments: Single Graduate Student Housing
As a single graduate student you have several options for housing. Specific Residence Halls, Wakeland &
Kaplan Hall, are designated for single graduate and professional students. Each hall provides basic room
furnishings’, kitchen facilities, and lounge areas. Food contracts are optional.

Southern Hills has one-bedroom and two-bedroom furnished apartments and furnished efficiencies.
Elizabeth Apartments also offers furnished efficiencies. An efficiency consists of one room with
combined living and kitchen facilities. It does not have a separate bedroom.

University Apartments: Housing for Married Students & Students with Families

SIUC operates two apartment complexes for married students and students with families at Southern
Hills and Evergreen Terrace. Southern Hills has one-bedroom and two bedroom furnished apartments.
Evergreen Terrace has two-bedroom and three-bedroom unfurnished apartments.

Prices range from $400-$600 per month depending on the number of rooms in apartment.
For more updated information, you may contact the University Housing Office at (618) 453-2301,
located at Washington Square, Building B, or you may visit the housing web site

Off-Campus Housing
There are many off-campus apartments, housing, and residence halls available in Carbondale and
nearby communities. For these listings and more information you can check the yellow pages in the
phone book and the classified ads of the Daily Egyptian, and the local newspaper The Southern
Illinoisan. Information about off-campus housing can be obtained at www.ips.siu.edu/iss/housing/html.

Students interested in off-campus housing can also contact their respective International Student
Associations for assistance.

“I never feel lonely since I have made friends with many American students and
international students. I like studying here, because I can choose from a great variety
of courses in academic and I meet new friends and see different cultures.”

Bin Che Chang (Taiwan)

Industrial Technology

A lease is a written agreement or contract between landlord and tenant. Once the lease is signed, it serves
as a legal document, or contract, and can be used in a court of law if a dispute arises.

Questions to ask before signing a lease:

• What is the amount of the rent? (Some landlords collect both first and last month’s rent when you
move in).
• If a deposit is required, is it refundable? Most security deposits are not refundable, most cleaning
deposits are.
• Does the rent include utilities such as gas, electricity, telephone line, etc. or do you pay for them? Can
you regulate your own heat? Where are the garbage receptacles? Is parking space included?
• What, if any, furniture, dishes, bedding are included? Is there a laundry facility provided?
• When and to whom is rent paid?
• In a shared apartment (two or more people live together), who is responsible? If someone moves in
with you, will the rent be raised?
• What extra fees are in the contract?
• Is there a damage fee? If there is, there should be a written list of the costs to repair or replace
damaged items? Is there a cleaning fee?
• What is the duration of the lease?
• Can your landlord come in to inspect the apartment? How much advance notice must he or she give?
• Are pets allowed?
• What responsibilities do you have regarding the maintenance or repair of the apartment?
What does the landlord keep clean; what is your responsibility? Who mows grass and shovels snow?
• Is there a guest policy? May you have overnight guests?
• If you decide to move, can you sell your contract to someone else? May you sublet? Under what
• What is required to end the contract? How much advance notice must you give before moving?

For electricity you can call the Central Illinois Public Service Company (AMEREN CIPS) at
1-888-789-2477. Further Information can be obtained at www.ameren.com

To apply for water and sewer you will need to contact Carbondale City Hall Finance
Department. A standard form of identification like a State ID is required. For more
information about installation, payment of bill and related activities can be obtained at

Verizon is one of the local telephone companies that services the Carbondale area. New
connection can be obtained by calling 1-800-263-8167 and then faxing a passport and I-20 to
the Verizon Verification Department. Further information can be obtained at the company’s
website www.verizon.com.

“I have been at SIUC for three years. I enjoy my study

here. I enjoy the quietness of the campus. This is a place
that provides me the feeling of serenity but at the same
time I can keep my social life. The students and the
faculty are amiable, and the nature scenes are pretty.
Living in Carbondale is affordable. All these make me feel
my choice of coming here is correct.”

Wei Zhang (China)

Cinema & Photography


Saluki Express:
SIUC students ride the Saluki Express bus free with a valid student ID. SIUC students, faculty and staff,
as well as the Carbondale community, are encouraged to get on board, relax and be transported to
work, school, or popular destinations such as the University Mall, Illinois Avenue and Murdale Shopping
Center. This convenient system offers eleven routes that operate seven days a week (while school is in
session), and a break route that operates while school is not in session. Full service begins two days
prior to the start of each academic term. For Bus information call 618-549-2877.

Night Transit:
Night Safety Transit Service (formally known as Women’s Night Safety Transit Service) was established
to provide a safe non-threatening means of transportation to students both on and off campus through
Night Safety Transit, Evening Van for students with disabilities, and the Bright Way Path. The hours of
operation are Sunday through Friday 6:00 PM to 12:00 AM, but will stop accepting calls after 11:45 PM
(7:00 PM – 12:00 AM during daylight savings time). Services may be cancelled due to hazardous
weather. Call 618-453-2212 to schedule pickup..

Motor Vehicle Registration

Students need to purchase a parking permit for parking on campus. The vehicle needs to be registered
with the Parking Division (Washington Square Building D) for the current academic year. You can
contact the Parking Division for further information at www.dps.siu.edu/pk_welcome.htm

What should I consider when buying a car?

When you buy a car, the sale is final. Therefore you should have the car checked by an independent and
reliable mechanic before agreeing to buy it. You must purchase liability insurance when you buy a car.
Do not allow uninsured drivers to use your car.

What are important things I should do when renting a car?
Be sure to read all small print on your rental agreement before signing it. Read your credit
card agreement about auto insurance coverage for rental cars. Fill up the gas tank before
returning the rental car, as it is cheaper to do so rather than paying the rental agency.

What should I do if I get in a car accident?

• Call the police non-emergency number (457-3200) to report the accident.

•Get the name, address, contact information, and insurance company of the other

•Check the damages of the vehicles and see if anyone is injured.

• Call 911 if there is a serious injury.

•Report the accident to your insurance company immediately.

International Student Council
The parent organization for all international student organizations and associations is the International
Student Council. The ISC office is located in the lower level of the Student Center. There are over 30
international student associations representing many countries and regions from all over the world.
Contact the ISC office at (618) 453-5264 for further information, or check out their Web page at:

Registered Student Organizations (RSO)

Q&A International students may participate in over 400 Registered Student Organizations (RSO) on campus.
The Office of Student Development, located on the third floor of the Student Center, provides a listing
Q: How can I be a savvy of all the RSO on campus. They are also listed on the following Web page: http://siuc.orgsync.com/RSO
Student Programming Council
A: Never carry large sums The Student Programming Council (SPC), SIUC’s largest student organization, sponsors activities and
of cash; use a checking trips throughout the year. Watch for international film screenings throughout the year.
account. Avoid using credit
cards until and unless you
are sure you can manage
University Bookstore
The University Bookstore maintains textbooks required for every class offered at SIUC at competitive
your money wisely. The
prices. It has school and art supplies, fiction, foreign language books, SIU gifts and apparel, computer
high interest rates of
hardware and software, greeting cards, and more! The University Bookstore also offers an array of
credit cards can cause
services and sponsors programs both on-campus & in the local Carbondale community throughout the
serious financial problems.
Keep all receipts to prove
your purchases and to
Craft Shop & Sales
allow you to return items
The Craft Shop, located near the Big Muddy Room on the lower level of the Student Center, has
that are faulty for a full
everything you may need to design and create fine pieces of art! Please take advantage of the many
refund. Keep copies of all
craftmaking workshops offered throughout the year.
The Student Center Hall of Fame and the International Lounge hold annual Holiday Craft Sales in
December and various other sale events throughout the year.

University Museum
The Museum and Gift Shop hours are: 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 1:00 - 4:00 p.m. on
Saturday & Sunday, and closed on Mondays, University breaks and holidays. It is located at 2469 Faner
Q: Where can I get used The Main Street Marketplace in the Student Center is big, bright, and exciting with number of dining
books, household articles, and options. You’ll find favorites like McDonald’s, Starbucks Coffee shop, along with a variety of places
clothes? selling sandwiches, pizza, Chinese food, salads and snacks. The Old Main restaurant is also located in
the Student Center.
A: You can buy used or new
textbooks from Saluki Book
Store in the Student Centre,
710 Bookstore, University
Bookstore, through the
Internet, from other students,
or Friends of Morris Library
Annual Book sale. Many used
items for sale are posted on
bulletin boards across
campus. Other shops in
Carbondale that sell used
items and clothes are the
Salvation Army thrift store,
Goodwill, Tropicana Vintage
Clothing, and SI Pawn Show
to name a few.

As a student, it is important to take time out from studying and enjoy some of the recreational activities
offered by SIUC.

The Student Recreation Center is one of the best indoor recreation centers in the United States. The
athletic facilities are available to registered students and their family members. The facilities include:
courts for basketball, badminton, tennis, squash, racquetball, Ping-pong, volleyball, indoor soccer, an
Olympic-size swimming pool and diving, weight rooms for bodybuilding, sports equipment, and much
more. A recreation fee is part of the total fees you pay during the semester. If you are a registered
student and have a SIUC student ID, you are entitled to use these facilities.

The Recreation Center also provides recreational trips outside of Carbondale. Caving exploring at Illinois
Caverns, eagle watching & canoeing at Horseshoe Lake, rock climbing at Cedar Bluff, and hiking on
Cedar Lake Trail are a few of these outdoor trips.

The Student Center also provides games, which are available to registered students and families. These
“Living in Carbondale is a
games include: bowling, billiards, video, and pinball games.
best deal to have a good
environment for education
The Campus Lake is a beautiful place visited quite often by students and residents. The Carbondale area
and health. Professors in
also has an extensive system of public parks where people can enjoy picnics, games, free concerts,
Architectural Studies are very
children’s play ground, and other activities. Facilities can be reserved for group activities through the
friendly and knowledgeable.
Park District Office, located at 1115 West Sycamore. Office hours are from 8:30 am to 4:30 p.m.,
They make me think they are
Monday through Friday. For more information call (618) 549-4147.
my family. SIUC has beautiful
nature. My favorite things to
There are many other parks and recreational areas near Carbondale, including Giant City State Park,
do on weekends are to explore
Little Grassy Lake, Devil’s Kitchen, Crab Orchard Lake, as well as the Shawnee National Forest. For more
national parks and wineries
information on these and any other sightseeing and recreational opportunities in southern Illinois,
around the area. I am
contact the Adventure Resource Center, located in the Student Recreation Center, (618) 536-5531 or
surprised that I am having
the Regional Tourism Council in Marion (1-800-458-0360).
new findings every day.”
There are also a number of tourist attractions nearby Carbondale. St. Louis, the city known as the
Yuko Aoki (Japan)
‘Gateway to the West’ is only two hours from Carbondale. There are many unique places to visit in St.
Louis. The Gateway Arch, Missouri Botanical Gardens, Six Flags, and the St. Louis Zoo are a few of these

The Amtrak train, which runs through Carbondale travels from Chicago as far south as New Orleans,
Louisiana. Look for special train fares on Amtrak’s website at www.amtrak.com in order to visit these
exciting cities. In Chicago the Sears Tower and Sky Deck, Buckingham Fountain Pavilion, Chicago Cultural
Center, and the Navy Pier are definitely places worth visiting.

For transportation from Carbondale to St. Louis or Chicago you have several options:

•BART Transportation – Call 1-800-284-2278 for reservation (to St. Louis Lambert Airport)
•Greyhound Bus service – Call 618-549-3495
• Amtrak (to St. Louis and Chicago)
•Jackson County Mass Transit (To Williamson Airport, Marion) – Call 618-351-1836
• Rent a car from a local agency if you have a valid drivers license.

“What I like most at SIUC is the Recreation Centre. SIUC has good entertainment equipment, such as
swimming pool, basketball court, tennis court, badminton court, gym room. I think the Daily Egyptian,
SIUC newspaper is enjoyable,. I like to read it to learn some English vocabularies once my picture was in
the DE.”

Mandy Chung (Taiwan)

Major: Undecided

Carbondale is located in the beautiful Shawnee bio-region of Southern Illinois with a population of about
25,000 people. The area is enriched with international students and community members who come from all
over the world. While studying at SIUC, make sure to check out the many international flavors of Carbondale.

Are you craving foods from your home country? Try some of the grocery stores that cater to the international
community. Prominent among these are the International Groceries and Dona Camilla Mexican Groceries.
During April-November, you could buy fresh products at Farmer’s Market which is an open air local farmer’s
market. You can search for a list of shopping places for a variety of purposes on citysearch.com

If cooking is not your style, check out local ethnic restaurants that will satisfy your Thai, Indian, Mexican,
Chinese, Korean or Italian taste buds. China Express, New Kahala Fast Foods, Kaya Korean & Japanese
“My experience at SIUC Restaurant, Hunan Village, Super Buffet, Jewel of India, Thai Taste, Alongi’s, El Bajio’s, Melange, Global
was life changing. Never Gourmet and Long Branch are some of the Restaurants offering International Cuisine.
did I imagine that I would
meet people from all over Are you looking for exotic items from distant lands? Check out specialty shops in the University Mall such as
the world and have International Fashions, the African American Museum, and Romancing the Stone. Pier I is another store worth
friendships that I know will mentioning as is the University Museum gift shop.
last a lifetime. Of course,
being away from home is Do you want to nourish your spiritual side? We are fortunate to have a wide variety of places of worship in the
not easy. There are times Carbondale area. Whether you are looking for churches of Christian denominations or Interfaith centers, you
of loneliness but I would are sure to find something appropriate to your spiritual needs. Additionally, the Carbondale Muslim Center
not trade these 4 years and the Islamic Center of Carbondale are both located in town to serve the Muslim community. The Hindu
from anything!” Temples of St. Louis and Chicago are temples nearest to Carbondale. The Campus Baptist Student Ministries
located on Mill Street organizes many special events for international students, including free lunch on
Theresa Musumhi (Zimbabwe) Tuesdays,
Foreign Language and
International Trade We have two United States Postal Service (USPS) post offices in Carbondale. SIUC’s campus newspaper Daily
Egyptian and the local Southern Illinoisan cover global news and sports.

International Events and Organizations:

There are a number of International Student Organizations in SIUC. You can find them at
www.stddev.siu.edu/index.php/SVC/rso.html. Most of these represent students from individual countries who
wish to celebrate special occasions relevant to their cultures at different times during the year. These include
the International Festival generally held in February, India Night, Thai Night, Africa Week, and Hispanic
Awareness Month. Don’t miss the exuberance of Festival of Lights in November and of the Christmas lights
and decorations around town in December.


Coping with Culture Shock

Culture shock occurs when you leave your own culture and attempt to live and adjust in another culture
that is primarily different from your own. This can be a difficult process as those things which were
familiar are no longer present. Everything is new and different and may take a considerable amount of
time getting accustomed to. However, this is a normal reaction. You must remember that you will not
always feel confused as it will take some time to understand and adapt to your new community. Some
international students have a mild degree of culture shock, while others experience a higher degree. No
Q&A matter what degree you experience culture shock, you will usually move through four stages in adjusting
to your new environment.
Q: W h a t i s t h e b e s t
w a y t o c a l l h om e ? The first stage is known as the ‘honeymoon stage.’ This is when everything is new and exciting. Usually,
during this time you are busy getting settled and don’t have much time to miss home. The next stage,
‘irritability and hostility,’ is when the excitement decreases and you start to get irritable and hostile
A: You can make towards your new environment. Next you proceed to ‘understanding adjustment’ in which you come
calls at a cheaper to better understand your surroundings and feel less irritable. Finally, you will enter the ‘integration and
rate by using prepaid acceptance’ stage where you come to accept your new home and have found to some degree a sense of
calling cards. There belonging. It depends on the individual as to how long and intense each phase is.
are a number of
calling card options. There are several common symptoms that you may experience during culture shock. However, there are
You can search the many ways in which you may lessen the affects of these symptoms. Homesickness is a common
net for competitive occurrence for those experiencing culture shock. It is understandable that you frequently call or write
rates and times back home, however do not let this hinder you from making new friends. Take time to meet new people,
including Americans, and get involved in campus activities. Doing this will make your transition much
easier. If you begin feeling hostile toward Americans and your new environment, be patient as you
discover the meanings of things that you do not understand.

Ask questions and look for logical reasons behind what seems difficult, confusing, or threatening. Also,
remember that it is okay to make mistakes. Retain confidence and allow yourself to learn as you go along.
The values of your new culture may shock you. However, it is important that you remain flexible and
respectful. You will understand and appreciate your own culture better as you take time to learn about
one different from your own.

During this time it is also important that you remember to take care of yourself. Be sure to eat a well
balanced diet and get plenty of rest.

Also, take time to exercise and enjoy recreational activities. You should share your new experiences with
your family and friends back home. Most of all, allow yourself to enjoy and take advantage of this
wonderful new opportunity.
(The above information was taken from Getting Ready to Go: Practical information for Living and Studying
in the United States found at: http://www.educationusa.info/students.php.

Understanding American Ways

The United States is very diverse with people from many different backgrounds and cultures. There are
also many differences among individuals depending on geographical region, urban vs. rural, as well as
social class. As a result, it is difficult to generalize all American behaviors. However, there are several
practices and values that are typical of the American way of life.

• Greetings: People often say, “Hi, How are you?” or “How are you doing?” when they pass by. This is
not necessarily a question requiring a detailed answer. Usually, you can simply reply by saying, “I am
fine, thanks.” Men usually shake hands the first time they meet; women may or may not do so in a
“SIU is a good place for purely social setting though they generally do in a business atmosphere.
studying. It’s a quiet and
peaceful university. There • Time Consciousness: Americans place considerable value on punctuality. Activities are organized
are many nice people who by means of a schedule. If you are unable to keep an appointment, you are expected to call the person
are glad to help others. to advise him or her that you will be late or unable to arrive at all.

Ang Chen (China) • Individualism: Americans generally believe that the ideal person is an autonomous, self-reliant
Economics individual. Most Americans see themselves as separate individuals, not as representatives of a family,
community, or other group. Most Americans are friendly and appear to be very open-minded when
you meet them. Americans also value being direct and straightforward.

•Invitations: “Drop by any time” and “I’ll see you soon” are idioms often used in social settings, but
seldom meant to be taken literally. Before visiting a friend, it is polite to call someone on the telephone
or make an arrangement first. Even without an invitation it is acceptable to call a new acquaintance to
see if he or she would like to go to a social event with you.

Here are some additional tips about the social customs of Americans that will prove to be helpful
as you study.
• Americans are usually friendly and hospitable to all, but this does not imply a lasting friendship.
Close friendships develop slowly over time through social interaction.
• Traditionally, Americans line up (queue) – regardless of gender, age, or status on a “first come first
served” basis for individual services in offices, amusement parks, stores, etc.
• Smoking is often considered offensive for health reasons and is usually prohibited in public
buildings or vehicles. People who wish to smoke can do so outside or in specially designated
“smoking rooms” when they are available.
• Underage Drinking (the legal drinking age in Illinois is 21) , public drunkenness, driving while
intoxicated, sexual assault, and battery (violent behavior) are considered serious offenses and are
punishable by law, and are deportable offenses.
• Americans highly value personal cleanliness.
• Service to others through volunteerism with community groups or religious organizations is
common and respected in the United States.
• Although the definition is changing, the word “family” typically refers to the father, mother, and
children. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. are considered “relatives.”
• Hard work, achievement, and acquiring material goods are basic values reinforced by the family.
• Americans generally distrust anyone who does not look them in the eye when talking. This is
especially true of professors.
• Roommates should respect one another’s personal privacy and private property, sharing only by
prior agreement. Mutual consideration regarding noise level, smoking, sharing facilities, etc. is
important, and housekeeping duties should be shared equally. If difficulties arise, it is best to be
direct and assertive in expressing one’s thoughts.

Giving Tips (also called Gratuity)

A tip is small sum of money given to someone for performing a service or task for you. Usually you are
expected to tip the waiter/waitress at a restaurant, taxi, if someone carries your luggage for you at a hotel
and a variety of other situations. The appropriate amount to tip is between 15% and 20%, but final amount
should reflect the quality of service that was provided.

Frequently used campus offices:
Agriculture Building : 453-2421
Arena (Saluki Athletics, Office of Development) : 453-3148
Building Services : 453-5163
Bursar Office : 453-2221
Campus Information : 536-4636
Campus Mail Service: 453-5348
Center of English as a Second Language : 453-2265
College of Business : 453-3328
College of Education & Human Services : 453-2415
College of Mass Communication & Media Arts : 453-4308
Daily Egyptian Office : 536-3311
Engineering Building : 453-4321
Faner Hall: 536-2371
Financial Aid Office : 453-4334
International Student Council : 453-5264
ISS office : 453-5774
Morris Library : 453-2818
Neckers Building: 536-6666
Payroll Office (Miles Hall) : 453-3391
School of Medicine(Student Affairs): 453-1531
Southern Alumni : 453-2408
Student Center : 536-3351
Student Health Center : 453-3311
Student Rec Center : 453-1277
University Housing: 453-2301
University Museum : 453-5388
Zoology: 536-2314

Carbondale City Police : 549-2677
Emergency Information Hotline : (866)264-6420 or (618) 453-5375
Jackson County Illinois - Ambulance Service : 529-5158
Memorial hospital : 549-0721
SIUC Police : 911 or 453-3771
Women Emergency : 1-800-334-2094

Amtrak Railway Station: 1-800-872-7245 or 1-800-523-6590
BART: 573-388-2844 or 1-800-284-2278
Greyhound Bus: 214-849-8966 or 1-800-231-2222 or 549-3495
Jackson County Mass Transit : 351-1836
Night Safety Transit Service : 453-2212
Saluki Express Office : 453-5749 or 549-2877
SIUC Travel Service : 453-3357

Bank Of Carbondale: 549-2181
First Southern Bank : 549-3621
Mid Country Bank : 549-9904
Old National Bank : 457-3381
Regions Bank : 549-2102
SIU Credit Union: 457-3595

City of Carbondale:
Carbondale Main Street : 529-8040
United States Postal Service : 1-800-275-8777

Note: area code is (618) for all 7 digit numbers.

“You have created monuments, not
of stone and organization, but
lasting monuments carved in the
minds and souls of the men and
women you touched around the

Madhav Sharma, Nepal

Ph.D.: Education

“SIUC not only helped me develop my professional skills but also gave me a real international study abroad
experience which is unforgettable for me. I believe the good community of Carbondale and friendly
administration of SIUC provides a wonderful opportunity to anyone who is looking forward to pursuing
higher education in U.S. with a lot of fun. Don’t forget to come to coffee hour when you join SIUC.”

Sajid Rizvi (Pakistan)