Vous êtes sur la page 1sur 4

Introduction

Once upon a time, there were 2 wanderers namely Jian Paulo Doble & Johnedsel Roca (Us), they roamed from different places from different sectors of the world but they havent found what theyve really looking for. From a tiring adventure they decided to chill out on a certain island named Cebu. Upon arriving on a Fhanthalan they discovered something on the island, Cebu, and thats how the adventure started. The adventure started from Morning and ended up to the early evening, we had visited many places starting from the capital city pointing to the south region. Then they started by riding a bus to some parts of the South Region of Cebu City, In the bus was also a great adventure for there was a karaoke machine inside the bus and there were eating sessions and siestas, we visited many places here at the south namely Car-Car, Sibonga, Argao, Dalaguete, Boljoon. Our trip was very tiring yet enjoyable; we kept on admiring and criticized the beauty of Cebu, I expect from the readers that have fun on reading our documentation and helps you to know about Cebu down to the South. ENJOY !

Church & Town History


Boljoon, Cebu Province
Boljoon, Cebu is one of the oldest towns in Southern Cebu. It is 103 kilometers away from Cebu City to Southeastern Cebu. Boljoon is bounded by three neighboring municipality. The Municipality of Malabuyoc in the West, Municipality of Oslob in the South, Municipality of Alcoy in the south, and the Bohol Strait in the East. Boljoon is composed of (11) eleven barangays and (6) six of them are coastal. The 5 barangays are situated in the hills and mountains where planting crops and etc. and fishing are the primary source of income. It has 11,500 hectares / 111.2 square kilometers and the total population of 13,380. Boljoon's church is one of the oldest original stone church in Cebu that has been preserved for so many years. According to the history, in 1999, the Church in Booljoon was declared by the National Historical Institute as the National Historical Landmark and in the next year, the National Museum declared it as a National Cultural Treasure. The highlight of Boljoon is their lively and colorful annual town fiesta in honor of Nuestra Seora Patrocinio de Maria which is celebrated every second friday and saturday of November. On November 11, 2006, the Boljoon parish museum was opened. The museum features different antique collections of Boljoon's church artifacts, images, records, vestments, furniture carvings and other treasures.

Its History
Boljoon possibly started as a small settlement which eventually grew and prospered. In 1732 alone, Boljoon had 1,760 parishioners. By the year 1760, Father Provincial Pedro Velasco, OSA, reported that parishioners increased to 1,950 which is equivalent to 650 paying tributes, excluding 1,454 nonpaying tributes that made a total of 3,404 parishioners. Royal treasury which is the equivalent of taxes in modern terminology. Originally, one attribute was equal to three persons. Boljoon was exempted from any tribute in 1894 and 1896. The population then was 7,694. Population increases was at such a slow rate due to the Muslim raiders which ransacked everything in the town and left all things on fire. Boljoon once contributed an annual rent of 80 cavans of borona to the convent of then San Agustin Church now the Basilica del Santo Nio de Cebu. This was later reduced to half in 1726 because it was found too burdensome for Boljoon, during the time of Bishop Sebastian de Foroinda, OSA (1718-1728), the ninth Bishop of the Diocese of Cebu. Muslim raiders used to raid the settlement which often left the community in shambles. A Christian mission was also possibly erected in the place called the "Ermita" where priests perform religious services. The earliest Christian mission in Boljoon may have been established by the Augustinians in 1599. The Province of Cebu was then under their pastoral care and missionaries from the town of Carcar regularly visited by settlement in Boljoon. With the convention of the people to Catholicism, a provisional church may have been constructed but without a resident priest. The first recorded residency of a priest in Boljoon was in 1692. Even with the presence of a priest in the settlement, the predations of the Muslim raiders upon the settlement continued, until the early 1800s. In fact, it was due to the incursions of the muslim raiders that a massive stone church was erected by the Missionaries, designed to withstand the raids. In addtion, the Augustinians placed the church under the protection of the Virgin Mary and accordingly enshrined her image in the Church's altar.

Church history
Boljoon Church shows old and intricate carvings and bass relief. It is in a pseudobaroque rococo style. The interior is decorated beautifully. It has a main nave, a transcript, and twenty-eight pillars which support the walls. The walls are as thick as the pillars which are two meters thick and made of mortar and lime. A communion rail with ornate silverworks was stolen from the church. The Boljoon Church is the oldest remaining original stone church in Cebu. In 1999, the National Historical Institute declared it a National Historical Landmark. The following year, the National Museum declared it as a National Cultural Treasure. The church is being strengthen for the visit of car-car of the Augustinians long befor 1599 and it became the only church that holds the title of the nuestra seorita de patrocinio, It was proclaimed into a national heritage site, proclaimed by the national research of history in the Philippines on the 15th of December, 1999 affected by the order of the president no. 260. On the 1st of August, 1973 ruled by the order of the president no. 375, on the 14th of January, 1974 of the no. 1505, 11th June, 1978.