Vous êtes sur la page 1sur 15

Effects of

Electricity on
Human Body
WHY WORRY ABOUT
ELECTRICITY?

• Electrocutions rank fourth in causes of industrial fatalities


(behind traffic violence and contruction). It is estimated that
600 people die every year of electrical causes. Most of these
accidents involve low voltage (600V or less).
GRAPHS

• Electricity flowing through the human body


can shock, cause involuntary muscle reaction,
paralyze muscle, burn tissues and organ
burns or kill. In case of electric shock, the
amount of current flow through the body and
the corresponding body sensation are
identified in the following graph.

3
4
✣ A small night-light with a 6-watt bulb
draws 0.05 amperes, and even that
small amount of current can be fatal.
Here are some effects of current (in
milli-amps) passing through a 150
pound body (note that perception is
only 0.5 to 1.5 mili amps).
5
6
✣ Current passing through your body can cause electric shock,
resulting in 3 types of potential injuries:
✣ Burn (arcs burn with heat and radiation).
✣ Physical Injuries (broken bones, fails and muscle damage)
✣ - at milli amps, the muscles clamp on to whatever the person
holding.
✣ Nervous System Effects (stop breathing at 30 to 75 milli amps
alternating current at 60 Hz, fibrillation at 75 to 100 milli amps at 60
Hz)
✣ - Fibrillation – heart is “twitching” and there is no blood flow to the
body.
✣ Hand to hand 7
✣ Electricity is an integral part of todays
modern world and sometimes, it is easy to
forget how dangerous it can be. Given the
correct circumtances, it can kill. But it can
also shock you painfully, damage sensitive
euipment, and ignite combustible materials.

8
BURNS
✣ Although a current may not pasd through vital organs or pass
through vital organs or nerve centers, internal electrical burns can
still occur. These burns, which are a result of heat generated by
current flowing in tissues, can be either at the skin surface or in
deeper layers (muscles, bones, etc) or both. Typically, tissues
damaged from this type of electrical burn heal slowly.
✣ Burns caused by electric arcs are similar to burns from high
temperature sources. The temperature of an electric arc, which is
in the range of 4,000°F- 35,000°F, can melt all known materials,
vaporize metal in close proximity, and burns flesh and ignite
clothing at distances up to 10ft. From the arc. Damage of internal
tissues may not be apparent immediately after contact with the
current. Internal tissue swelling and edema arc also possible.
9
✣ The critical path of electricity through the body is
through the chest cavity. At noted levels (see Table:
Effects of DC and AC on the Human Body and the
Incident Severity), current flowing from a one hand to
the other, from a hand to the opposite foot, or from
the head to either foot will pass through the chest
cavity paralyzing the respiratory or heart muscles,
initiating ventricular fibrillation, and/or burning vital
organs.

10
✣ The effects of electric current on the human body can vary
depending on the following:
✣ Source characteristics current frequency and voltage
of all electric energy souces.
✣ Body impedance and the current’s pathway through
the body
✣ How enviromental conditions affects the body’s
contact resistance
✣ Duration of the contact
✣ The typical effects of various electric current flowing
through the body on the average
11 150lb male and 115lb
12
STATIC ELECTRICTY AND HOW IT
CAN DO HARM?

✣ WHY MINIMIZE STATIC SHOCKS?

✣ You may be injured by the reaction to the


shock even though the shocks are not
hazardous!

13
WHAT YOU CAN DO?

1. Never clean the glass face of your computer monitor while the computer is on.
2. During normal operation, the glass surface of a monator’s CRT accumulates an
electrostatic charge. When you touch the screen with a finger, the charge in the portion
of the screen you touched discharges through your finger with a tiny spark. Electric
current does not normally flow through glass so only part of the screen that your finger
touches is discharged. When you clean a monitor however, the entire glass is wet and
the charge on the entire screen will discharge to your finger or hand, causing a much
more painful shock. Clean your monitor before you turn on your computer.
3. Never allow any powered office equipment to become wet while it is turned on.
4. Never turn on any electronic equipment when it is wet.
5. Even when a computer has been turned off for a few minutes, it is best not to touch the
monitor’s CRT while handling or using other electrical/ectronic equipment, including the
telephone. Wet or dry, you may receive an electric shock. This shock is similar to the
shock you receive when you touch a door knob after walking across a carpet. Although
painful, this type of shock is not hazardous. However, you may be injured by the reaction
to the shock such as pulling your hand rapidly away and hitting your elbow against a wall
or cabinet. 14
THANK YOU!!!!

Prepared by:
Amoyo, Jessalyn
Agda Marielle
Anacio, Jalron
Banigoos, Ma. Jessa
Despe, Renze Christian

15